Outdoor enclosure help

Manta503

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I have awhile before I need to have an outdoor enclosure for my Sulcata- Karma. I live in Georgia with wooded area around my yard, we have fire ants around, I have seen baby scorpions from the wooded area come in my yard, snakes, and alot of squirrels. Oh and we have a neighborhood Owl, I have seen a fox, and rumors of Coyotes.
So I am wondering if the outdoor enclosure should have some kind of floor rather than just having Karma walk around on the dirt? Also, should I have the whole area enclosed with some type of screen to prevent predators?
How big of an area should Karma have outdoors?
I am thinking that I will make an area in the garage to bring her in at night to prevent any danger.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Many people have no problems with just using the ground, I'm sure you could add topsoil or something but I'd think it's a waste of money. It would be a good idea to have a screen, I would use the chicken wire that has very small, strong, squares, rather than the one with bigger hexagons. The hexagon type seems weaker. We have fire ants too, I do worry about them but I have these grain things that I bought, that I put on top of any mounds in the pen and I don't think it bothers the tortoises, and it gets rid of the fire ants. The area can be as big as you want, I'm not a sully keeper so I can't say specific dimensions but I do know bigger is better. You could bring it into the garage, or make a nice secure night box and lock her up every night instead of moving her.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live with raccoons... 'possums... coyotes... rats... mice... feral cats and tweakers...I keep 2 bigger Sulcata and have a big locking shed for them. They take themselves to bed at the time they decide and I close the doggie door and lock the people door...your tortoise needs a protected hide to sleep in at night...