Outdoor enclosure ideas, for Radiated specifically

LJL1982

Location (City and/or State)
UK
20230326_195314.jpgso...I have this horror to work with. The local household recycling site accepts 2 x 17kg rubble sacks per month.

It looks like we will be getting a grab or skip!! But...

I've never seen an outdoor enclosure for a Radiated other than Camp Kenan and a few others :( so I would really enjoy seeing other people's Radiated enclosures...what works and what doesn't? Plants, hide aways etc.

I've never spotted a climbing Radiated so I'm guessing that's less of a concern than the others need consideration of...

How would you plan this area out? (This photo is taken mid winter btw) and gets full sun most of day so shade will be a consideration.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't find any decent photos showing my enclosures, but I make walls out of slumpstone block. I go three high and offset the middle row with a half block to make it stronger.

I would get rid of the square pavers in your space there and make the enclosure on the dirt. Radiata are not know for being climbers. Mine have never tried to climb.

Here is a pic of another member's enclosure that I saved:
A3F4404A-AE64-43A6-8E86-C4C7BDF7B00C.jpeg

This is one of mine. In the fore ground is a 4x24 foot pen with three covers for babies. The background is part of a large pen and you can see the stack slumpstone over to the left.
IMG_7317.jpg

LJL1982

UK
I can't find any decent photos showing my enclosures, but I make walls out of slumpstone block. I go three high and offset the middle row with a half block to make it stronger.

I would get rid of the square pavers in your space there and make the enclosure on the dirt. Radiata are not know for being climbers. Mine have never tried to climb.

Here is a pic of another member's enclosure that I saved:
View attachment 355601

This is one of mine. In the fore ground is a 4x24 foot pen with three covers for babies. The background is part of a large pen and you can see the stack slumpstone over to the left.
View attachment 355602
First one almost look like UK! I like those slumpstone bricks...quite attractive. I hadn't considered options length ways and long. I'm pleased to see I don't need to go too high as i that gives me quite a few options. Placement under a tree seems sensible. We don't need to worry about covers which helps, so I can go more open without worrying about bow, and I will just lock into a hutch at night.

Shame I can't make the weather reflect yours!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First one almost look like UK! I like those slumpstone bricks...quite attractive. I hadn't considered options length ways and long. I'm pleased to see I don't need to go too high as i that gives me quite a few options. Placement under a tree seems sensible. We don't need to worry about covers which helps, so I can go more open without worrying about bow, and I will just lock into a hutch at night.

Shame I can't make the weather reflect yours!
Rather than an unheated hutch, I recommend a heated night box like one of these:

The addition of a heat lamp on a timer would allow you to get out earlier in Spring and stay out later in Fall. Your tortoise would be able to remain warmer in cooler weather. This works for me during our winters, which are mild compared to yours. The tortoises can come out and graze on cooler days, but retreat to the heat and basking lamp as needed.