Outdoor enclosure substrate

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Please delete if this is posted somewhere else, I couldn't seem to find anything on it. I also am looking for specific help. I'm going to be creating a basic enclosure outside where I can grow some food for my Russian tortoise but also put him in to spend time outside so that I don't have to worry about losing him or him getting hurt somehow (the dog next door freaks me out when I bring my tortoise outside.) I'm going to buy a plastic kiddie pool and want to add soil but want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff. Would something like this be good to put in there for him?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1335642&cp=20467386.1260387

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I am just now realizing it has fertilizer in it. If someone could give me some suggestions on brands and whatnot I would appreciate it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It also has a "wetting agent". No good and much too expensive anyway. It is very difficult to find plain soil with no additives. How about some local organic compost mixed with the native soil from your yard?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
It also has a "wetting agent". No good and much too expensive anyway. It is very difficult to find plain soil with no additives. How about some local organic compost mixed with the native soil from your yard?

My soil is far too sandy as I live right on a lake, which is another reason I have to garden in raised beds. :( I will talk to some friends and family and see if I can take some of their soil ;) and find some organic compost, as you stated. Thanks for the tip.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Compost is great! Coco coir (for me) kind of dissipated and (shrunk?) in the rain.