vberonics

Location (City and/or State)
Texas, San Antonio
How old does my tort have to be to move outside? what materials do i use to build a home for him and how can i avoid predators and overheating. My tortoise is 3 years old and is starting to get big to the point where him being in my room obviously takes a good amount of space. Im just scared to move him outside😂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is a Sulcata and hes about 11 inches long
You can use slump stone blocks or you can use boards with posts in the ground. There are many ways to do it, but be sure to have a visual barrier with a sulcata.

The best way to avoid the summer heat is to let the tortoise burrow. Start a burrow where you want it and keep putting the tortoise in there to encourage him.

You will need an insulated temperature controlled shelter. If the tortoise doesn't like to burrow, then it can use its shelter to stay cool on hot days. The shelter will also keep the tortoise safe from predators, rodents, ants and other such things every night all year, and it will keep him warm at night and on cold winter days. Here are two examples:

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
You can use slump stone blocks or you can use boards with posts in the ground. There are many ways to do it, but be sure to have a visual barrier with a sulcata.

The best way to avoid the summer heat is to let the tortoise burrow. Start a burrow where you want it and keep putting the tortoise in there to encourage him.

You will need an insulated temperature controlled shelter. If the tortoise doesn't like to burrow, then it can use its shelter to stay cool on hot days. The shelter will also keep the tortoise safe from predators, rodents, ants and other such things every night all year, and it will keep him warm at night and on cold winter days. Here are two examples:
Thank You!! this was a lot of help for me, Do you think he should move outside already though? would it be an appropriate age and size

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank You!! this was a lot of help for me, Do you think he should move outside already though? would it be an appropriate age and size
I move them outside full time at around 10 inches, so yes. It is time.

When you do move him you can expect a temporary slow down in appetite and growth for a few months. This is normal. Soak more frequently during this time.

Also, I think it is a good idea to acclimate the tortoise gradually to living outside. I sun them for an hour a couple of times per week when they are tiny babies. As they gain size, I sun them longer and more often. I put them outside for about 1 hour per inch of tortoise as they grow. Once they get to around 6-8 inches, I put them outside all day, depending on the weather. This acclimation process makes it less of a big deal when they finally start sleeping in a burrow or night box outside and get to see every sunrise and sunset.

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
I move them outside full time at around 10 inches, so yes. It is time.

When you do move him you can expect a temporary slow down in appetite and growth for a few months. This is normal. Soak more frequently during this time.

Also, I think it is a good idea to acclimate the tortoise gradually to living outside. I sun them for an hour a couple of times per week when they are tiny babies. As they gain size, I sun them longer and more often. I put them outside for about 1 hour per inch of tortoise as they grow. Once they get to around 6-8 inches, I put them outside all day, depending on the weather. This acclimation process makes it less of a big deal when they finally start sleeping in a burrow or night box outside and get to see every sunrise and sunset.
Okay thank you!! will start working on it.