Outdoor Enclosures

jaejsvv

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi - I have had my Russian now for about 3 or 4 months and
he seems like a happy little guy; has a regular routine and eats well. Occasionally he scratches away at the sides of his enclosure, but that seem pretty common from what I have read. To this point, he
has been exclusively inside, primarily because I live in the northeast US and the weather hasn't been good. That said, with spring coming I would like to get him outside but have a few concerns.

If I build an enclosure on my lawn, do I need to worry about lawn fertilizer? Will he eat the grass (rye bluegrass, etc)? I suppose I could have an area that isn't treated?
Do I need to worry about any natural vegetation that would be bad for him if eaten?
Do I need to worry about foxes or cats or other animals in the area? Should I make the enclosure such that nothing can get near him?
Will he be unhappy if I leave him outside for a few hours at a time and then bring him back in?

Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are excellent questions!

1. Yes. You need to worry about fertilizers. And most lawn chemicals are now a concoction of a mix of horrid chemicals. Weed n' feed, pesticides and all sorts of bad stuff. If you own a tortoise, all that lawn care chemical stuff should go in the garbage. Spread dandelion and mallow seeds on your lawn instead of fertilizer.
2. Russians are not grass eaters, but some of them will sometimes eat some grass. Its not bad for them.
3. Yes you need to worry about "natural" vegetation that might grow in there. Contrary to what some people mistakenly believe, they will eat toxic plants and weeds. You must know each plant they have access to and verify they are all safe. Some people say: "They've survived without our help for millions of years. I think they know what to eat and what not to eat." This is fine for a wild tortoise that grows up in the area that it has evolved to deal with for millions of years, but move a tortoise to a different continent, in captive conditions, and introduce plants from all over the globe, and this becomes a different story. Tell all the people whose tortoises have died from eating poisonous plants that they don't need our help…
4. Wild predators usually are not a problem once they reach 4-5", but everyone's area is different. They should be locked up at night either in the house or in an outdoor box. There is no harm done if you make a lid. Then you don't have to worry about it. On the other hand, if you leave the top open, something might eventually happen. Domestic dogs are probably the biggest threat. The loving family dog kills far more tortoises than wild predators do.
5. I have indoor and outdoor housing for all of my babies and small tortoises. There should be no reason why your tortoise can't be outside during fair weather for a few hours or all day, and indoors at night or during inclement weather. I think this is the best way to house them in most cases. Best of both worlds.

jaejsvv

NJ
Thanks so much for that information.

I think I will start by making him a large enclosure in a mulched/dirt area that I have in my yard. There is little weed or grass to worry about there, but he will still be able to get some sun and explore around a much larger area than I have for him indoors. Maybe I will even try to plant some stuff that he may want to nibble on while he is out there.

I think I have read this in other places, but to be sure, best to keep Russians solo?

Thanks, again.

JimV

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Wild predators usually are not a problem once they reach 4-5"
Really? Where I am there aren't really raccoons or foxes, but there are a lot of hawks and turkey vultures, which often swoop low. Should I still cover my 4.5" Russian enclosure with chicken wire?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Really? Where I am there aren't really raccoons or foxes, but there are a lot of hawks and turkey vultures, which often swoop low. Should I still cover my 4.5" Russian enclosure with chicken wire?
Turkey vultures won't do anything with a live animal.

We have lots of hawks and other predators in my area and nothing bothers them at that size. If left out at night, it might be a problem with raccoons or coyotes, but ariel predators shouldn't be an issue.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I think I have read this in other places, but to be sure, best to keep Russians solo?

Absolutely they should be solitary animals unless you have a breeding group and a good deal of space.

They are quite territorial and aggressive.