Outdoor hide temperature

Ramaah

5 Year Member
Hi everyone. My name is Ramaah and I live in sunny AZ. I am preparing an outdoor enclosure for my first Russian Tortoise which I hope to be purchasing within the next month or so. I have built a cinder block hide/shelter much like the other ones seen on the forum. The temperature inside the hide stays around 84 degrees even though it is 108 degrees out. Is 84 degrees cool enough? Thanks for your input. Anxiously waiting for responses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
With russians, cooler is always better, however, 84F is not life threatening. And if you leave the floor dirt, the tortoise will dig down and be able to get even cooler.

Welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ramaah welcome to the TFO from Phx. AZ . Your Russians will do great here . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1401934039.010179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you wet down the Cinderblocks, it will cool off. You can do that when it's extremely hot.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And plant a heat tolerant shrub near it so it shades the hide during the hot part of the day. Or a small tree on the sunny side.
A beach umbrella over the hide in the direction of noonday sun will help until the shrub/tree grows.

If you are monitoring temps with a thermometer and wire probe, stick the probe down into the soil, say 3-4". I bet it will be cooler there.

Ramaah

5 Year Member
Thank you for the suggestions. I placed the probe deeper into the soil and it read 76 degrees. Much better temp for my future tort and my peace of mind :) Now I need to research some safe shrubs to plant. Thank you all.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to TFO.Russians are one f my favorite species.