Tortoise mostly in hide

Dbennett561

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa
Hello,

I have a 2 month old cherry head.
Currently kept outdoors in a large tank (I'm sure people will hate, but it's where I'm at). One end is kept around 90 degrees during the day for basking and around 85 on the other side. I live in tampa, super humid especially now in the summer. Stays around 85% throughout day.

I have a ceramic lamp at night to continue to provide heat and keep a towel on top to keep humidity in.

He eats well, I feed him small amout of mixed greens am and pm. Every third day I give him strawberries, or other fruit.

Soak him daily for bout 20 min, normally poops then (hasn't in 2 days).

My question :

He stays in his hide (on the hot side)nearly all day and night. I have a hide on cold and hot side.When I take him out in am and after work he's active eats roams in the soak bowl and then goes back into hide. Is it normal for him to be in the hide so much at this age?

Thanks!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
A tort hides because in the wild if a tort moves he's someone's dinner . So once he sees you as the Food God he will come running . But have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What I know about RF tortoises I learned right here on the Forum. And one of the things I learned is that you don't need a temperature gradient for RF tortoises. It is quite ok to keep the whole habitat around 80F degrees.

Baby tortoises are prey, just like Grandpa said, and because of that, they hide most of the time.

We have a pretty experienced member who has written a good care sheet and has a web site - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm