Outdoor humidity?

Benjtort

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
As you may know tortoises keepers love their pets and treat them like gold. Here’s the question if we have strict care rules on humidity in a indoor enclosure why doesnt the humidity matter outside??

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It does matter, which is why it’s not recommended to keep hatchlings outdoors. Since pyramiding is caused by GROWTH in dry environments, a tortoise that is fully grown won’t pyramid. However, when it comes to large tortoises that have to be moved outside before fully growing, you must make sure that it’s night box (or wherever it sleeps)is humid, by putting containers of water inside.
So to answer your question, it does matter, unless the tortoise is full grown.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As you may know tortoises keepers love their pets and treat them like gold. Here’s the question if we have strict care rules on humidity in a indoor enclosure why doesnt the humidity matter outside??
As TechnoCheese answered, it does matter, and we do what we can do.

Lots of plants, misters, sprinklers, shade cloth, water tubs in the night boxes, frequent soaks and limited time outdoors in dry climates for babies and growing juveniles.

In fact, my hot dry climate is the reason I don't keep Aldabras, RFs, Indotestudo or Manouria. Other species are more adaptable to my drier conditions.

Benjtort

Texas
It does matter, which is why it’s not recommended to keep hatchlings outdoors. Since pyramiding is caused by GROWTH in dry environments, a tortoise that is fully grown won’t pyramid. However, when it comes to large tortoises that have to be moved outside before fully growing, you must make sure that it’s night box (or wherever it sleeps)is humid, by putting containers of water inside.
So to answer your question, it does matter, unless the tortoise is full grown.
Oh ok so it matters until they are fully grown.