Outdoor Living Tips and Help

vberonics

Location (City and/or State)
Texas, San Antonio
My sulcata has just officially been moved outdoors. I would like tips and things that are recommended for me to do. enclosure wise and if anything should change. as in keeping away from bugs/what to do for rainy days etc. Just the typical. Should i be afraid of bugs getting near him?

vberonics

Texas, San Antonio
He can't live outside full time until AFTER you have a heated shelter up and running. A million different things could kill him without a shelter. Ants, rats, dogs, low temperatures etc...
Okay. Thank you for telling me.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
He can't live outside full time until AFTER you have a heated shelter up and running. A million different things could kill him without a shelter. Ants, rats, dogs, low temperatures etc...
Can't say enough about fire ants, red ants, even tiny black evil ants. I don't know of any poison safe around tortoises. Someone else might.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
We've had horror stories on here about people's beloved tortoises dying horrifically by fire ants (and rats). Fire Ants seem to be talked about a lot with texas owners here...

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
We've had horror stories on here about people's beloved tortoises dying horrifically by fire ants (and rats). Fire Ants seem to be talked about a lot with texas owners here...
I'm in Mississippi. Word is the reason for a lack of quail (ground nesters) is fire ants. They also kill fawns.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can't say enough about fire ants, red ants, even tiny black evil ants. I don't know of any poison safe around tortoises. Someone else might.
I use ant bait/poison and occasionally something to attract them. Jelly works for "sugar" ants. I use cut up hot dogs to attract fire ants. They work great and don't rot or get extra nasty. So I recommend using them.
Anyway, I place it all into glass jars with metal lids. Holes poked in the lids and the entire jar tucked out of sight. (Inside the enclosure) It becomes tortoise safe and relatively waterproof if you place it correctly.
I leave them in place for a few weeks to let them distribute the bait/poison. Then throw the entire jar away and set a new one down. Wear gloves because there will likely be live ants still on and in the jars initially.
Then I treat the entire yard outside of my tortoise pens with fire ant killing granules.
The good news is that I've had 100% success....In south Florida!
I thought that it wasn't possible. But my yard is ant free. And has remained this way for several years now.

Last edited: