Outdoor or indoor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelllover

5 Year Member
Hello all! I'm a beginner tortoise mom. He is a Sulcata and about two months old... or she. Anyway I wanted to know which enclosure is the best for this type. outdoor or indoor?? I live in the desert region so it is very hot hand dry out. Right now I have him in a baby pool outside. there is dirt on the bottom he has a log, a Frisbee with water in it. and he has a dirt tunnel he has burrowed. Is the naturally hot climate good enough for him? it gets to about 110 degrees here in the summer but I imagine his dugout is much cooler.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Way are the night temps? I think it needs to be indoors, with outside time daily. Keep his indoor enclosure hot and humid and when he is outsid keep him secure and give him lots of shade. A small hatchling like that can be a target for predators so it will need a covered most likely.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At only two months, I would build him a humid closed chamber enclosure. Read Toms threads below to,learn about that. Then take him outside for daily sun exposure for about an hour a day. Making sure he has water and shade available.

Shelllover

5 Year Member
The night temps are around 75 degrees. He has chicken wire over his baby pool to keep him safe. Thanks for the tips!!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Yeah keep it indoors. Temps need to be minimum of 80. Plus once he burrows it will be even cooler and there's too many dangers out there for such a little bugger.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.