Outdoor winter home

Status
Not open for further replies.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I was all set to build Tom nice little outdoor night box when I realized that for me I still might have some issues. So my question is for those of you that live in colder climate what do you use for lighting during the day and a basking spot if its to cold for them to go outside? My little sulcata Is only 2 this will be for next winter, and how big should I make it? I don't mind making a new one in a few years when he is bigger. But I want to make sure I have it good for day and night heat and light!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Manette:

You know, of course, that the smaller you make it, the more often you're going to have to rebuild it...and on the other side of the coin, the bigger you make it, the more electricity it takes to heat it.

Take a look at my sister's (she lives in Corvallis) thread on how she has her male sulcata set up:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20710.html

I just use regular 100 watt incandescent lights in all my outdoor sheds. Even in the winter, the tortoises go out daily to eat, and they soak up whatever UVB is available to them, so the 100 watt incandescent bulb is just for them to warm up after being out in the cold.

Most people don't recommend them, but I use 60 watt black lights for night time heat...along with a pig blanket.

Melisacoleman

5 Year Member
I am in the same boat. Let me know what you find out.
-Melisa

manetteaplin said:
I was all set to build Tom nice little outdoor night box when I realized that for me I still might have some issues. So my question is for those of you that live in colder climate what do you use for lighting during the day and a basking spot if its to cold for them to go outside? My little sulcata Is only 2 this will be for next winter, and how big should I make it? I don't mind making a new one in a few years when he is bigger. But I want to make sure I have it good for day and night heat and light!

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
Yvonne, thank you for sharing your sisters post!! We are putting in post tomorrow for his outdoor pen, trying to get it done and growing before things quit growing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.