Outside encloses (UK)

Brimstonefox

Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
Hi! Spring has sprung in the UK and I would like my two 8 month old Hermanns to get some proper sunlight on their shells. They are too small for a proper, permanent outside enclosure but I would worry about leaving them unsupervised in the commercially available tortoise runs, in case a fox gets underneath etc. I work 9-5. Can anyone suggest a simple, inexpensive, safe set-up to allow my little guys to hang out outside during the day in the warm weather?
Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

• 20180318_121658[1].jpg
    20180318_121658[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24

ColinS

Manchester
I have a 5x2 indoor rabbit/guinee pig cage outdoors About 5inch substrate The bottom plastic bit of the cage is drilled so it can’t flood. But I have also made a cold frame from wood 2x2x2 foot that has a heat lamp inside so my hermans has a warm shed if u like. Not the biggest set up. But it won’t be permanent and it has worked so far for me

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
I have a 5x2 indoor rabbit/guinee pig cage outdoors About 5inch substrate The bottom plastic bit of the cage is drilled so it can’t flood. But I have also made a cold frame from wood 2x2x2 foot that has a heat lamp inside so my hermans has a warm shed if u like. Not the biggest set up. But it won’t be permanent and it has worked so far for me
That was going to be my next question! :) Thank-you, ColinS, sounds like a great idea. I shall action immediately. :)

Brimstonefox

Kent, UK
Thanks, Yvonne! Some really useful ideas for when they get a bit bigger - I will save the link. :) . At the moment, though, unlike Joe in the thread, mine are small enough to be at risk of cats, foxes, seagulls and crows so ColinS's suggestion will suit them well, I think.
My conservatory temps fluctuate hugely so that would not be an option for them. I hope to allow them to live outside all year round when they are bigger; their parents do, successfully regulating their own hibernation, digging in when it gets cold and getting up when the weather warms up.