Outside enclosure summer fun

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
IMG_0018.jpg

Darwin's been enjoying this recent run of hot weather.

His outside enclosure is 4x4, and he loves exploring and nibbling his way around.

IMG_0015.jpg

His hibiscus plants have been producing flowers like crazy... he's been eating a couple every day.

IMG_0023.jpg

Everyday before I put him out, I yank a few handfuls of green from a raised bed devoted to tortoise-friendly greens.

IMG_0021.jpg

After exploring the enclosure he disappears... not into the little shelter I've setup, which scared me at first, as I thought he'd escaped.

IMG_0022.jpg

He likes to tunnel under the fresh greens, eating his way in and then settling in for a nap under the warm and moist pile.

I think he'll miss his summer field trips when the warm days come to an end.

Jamie (and Darwin)

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
View attachment 276055

Darwin's been enjoying this recent run of hot weather.

His outside enclosure is 4x4, and he loves exploring and nibbling his way around.

View attachment 276056

His hibiscus plants have been producing flowers like crazy... he's been eating a couple every day.

View attachment 276057

Everyday before I put him out, I yank a few handfuls of green from a raised bed devoted to tortoise-friendly greens.

View attachment 276059

After exploring the enclosure he disappears... not into the little shelter I've setup, which scared me at first, as I thought he'd escaped.

View attachment 276060

He likes to tunnel under the fresh greens, eating his way in and then settling in for a nap under the warm and moist pile.

I think he'll miss his summer field trips when the warm days come to an end.

Jamie (and Darwin)
Looks like Darwin is in Tortoise paradise!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Sweet, enjoy as much as you can.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I upgraded Darwin's outside enclosure from a single 4x4 space to two spaces: 4x6 for Darwin and 4x8 for Chili (the new Russian)

IMG_1949.jpg

The shade netting extends over both enclosures, possibly favoring Darwin's a bit.

IMG_1965.jpg

I gave Chili the bigger space because he seems to do more exploring than Darwin.

IMG_1971.jpg

They're roughly the same size, but my plan is to keep them separate both indoors and outdoors, at least until I know them (and they know me) much better.

Jamie

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My Russian paces the perimeter of the outdoor space like he is patrol then off to eat or sleep. I wouldn’t try mixing them Russians are well - Russian. Stubborn, territorial, and ruffians. I would just add some plants and a top board around the edge to offer perimeter shade and extra escape protection

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
This iteration of the enclosure is highly mobile... in a week or two I'll more another 5x15 section of lawn and move the blocks and boards.

I may move a potted hibiscus or rose of again into each section... some shade, something to explore, fresh food nearby.

I agree they'll both do better if kept apart.

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I got home after a week's absence and the tortoises were happy to get outside, get sprayed, and get fed.

View attachment 278719

Darwin cleaned his plate in front of me while Chili is still nervous about eating in front of me.

View attachment 278720

They both seem to be enjoying the time outside, exploring their enclosures, nibbling greenery.

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    892.4 KB · Views: 4