Outside enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Here in the north east of England we don't get great summers, so I was wondering how to build a cheap sufficient enclosure?? Ideas would be great! Also, what would be the correct temp to put him outside? Let's say, if it was sunny but cold, that wouldn't be correct would it??

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I can only answer part of your question. Yesterday, directly in the sun, it was 65. I brought my 10 month old sulcata and my Russian out. If u remember correctly, you have a baby Hermann? I just know that babies should be kept warn. Below 65 F is probably too cold. But, others may say differently.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
He is a western hermanns. 15 months old. Usually we have nice weather here in april. Then a few odd days here and there but it's never fantastic. Fingers crossed we get an alright summer this year so he can get out at some point.

jamiescorer

5 Year Member
Hi Karley I live in The north East and I have a new tortoise, so I'll be building an enclosure too, I have a six month of Marginated. I'll be interested to see how long we can keep our tortoises outside with the weather we have.

argus333

5 Year Member
make a big wooden pen like 8ft x8ft. with screen top and put plexi glass on top on cool days. like a green house. u just have to watch temps as it can get really hot in there even when cold out.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
In climates like ours, that are colder or wetter than the tortoise's native environment, we have to modify the outdoor enclosure, in order to get our torts outside more and extend the season.

I see a lot of people in the UK and areas with similar climates (mine) start with warm hides (often wooden), with heat (tubular heater on thermostat). The tort can be put in here at night and shut in for safety, if you leave them outside at night.
Then something that is bright and stays dry like a greenhouse or cold frame. These can overheat, but on a cloudy day, can be quite toasty, especially if there are basking rocks or gravel inside along with dirt. The cold frame can be set up on a brick base with a couple of bricks removed for a door. If the cold frame is quality enough that it stays dry, often a basking light is set up (not for UV just for light and warmth).
Then, leading from that, there is the outdoor run.
So it is warm box to cold frame/GH to outdoor run. This way, you extend the season and the tort can self regulate better.

Status
Not open for further replies.