Outside pen help please

Kaza78

Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire
Hi all.. I’m going to start my outside pen soon for Shelby.
I was just wondering what do I line the ground with before I use topsoil?
Any help would be great

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
What kind of a tortoise is Shelby? How large of an area? Do you plant to plant lots of plants, landscape, etc? Will you have a little nightbox for your tort?

Kaza78

Hertfordshire
Shelby is a med spur thigh.. the dimensions are 6ft by 3ft. At the moment I have paving stones there but I want a project to do. What do you recommend ? I read organic top soil is the best

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just finished mine for a two year old leopard. I used cypress mulch from Lowe’s and really liked the size and consistency for 3.97 for a 2 cubic foot bag. As far as buying soil I wouldn’t as many have who knows what in them. Your own ground should be fine as it will be worn down and eaten up soon

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If your outside enclosure is on the ground, not a raised planter box style there is no reason not to use the existing soil. As long as you know for certain that it is not contaminated with anything such as chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides or other potentially harmful chemicals. Depending upon what type of soil you have and it's characteristics such as poor drainage, dry & dusty, hard compacted, poor plant growing quality and so on, you may want to add other mediums too it such as mulches, loam, etc, in order to achieved a consistency that is desirable for the tortoise. As well as adding flat stones, plants, a water source and a few hiding areas.
You don't mention how big your tortoise currently is. A 3' x 6' enclosure is fine for a small tortoise, under 4". But if (and when) your tortoise is an adult it should have a much larger enclosure if possible. Mediterranean Spur Thighs, or Greek tortoises as they are also known by, grow to anywhere from 6-9" average and should have a much larger enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never imported anything to use as substrate in outdoor tortoise yards. What nature has provided out there is plenty good enough for tortoise yards.