OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
I have a two month old Sulcata. I live in Florida, and will let him outside in his enclosure for 1-2 hours max. What is the acceptable temps? Should I put him outside for that length of time if the temperatures are only 75 degrees? Right now, I have a pouting baby that wants to go outside. ):

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I love in Oregon (BTW...I WISH I loved in Florida....idea tortoise weather year around).

My rule of thumb...personally, is outdoors until 60°. Sulcata can handle low temps pretty well as long as they can warm up in the morning and bask. Mine are now inside full time.

Lived.....LIVED dang it!!!

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
SenjiSandy said:
I love in Oregon (BTW...I WISH I loved in Florida....idea tortoise weather year around).

My rule of thumb...personally, is outdoors until 60°. Sulcata can handle low temps pretty well as long as they can warm up in the morning and bask. Mine are now inside full time.

Lived.....LIVED dang it!!! 😕

Thanks! So even a young two month old can handle lower temps? Sorry for the dumb question. I am new, and have been keeping him in the 80-100 degree temp even outdoors. That would be great if I can let him out today!!!!!:D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm not sure about that young. Tom would be the one to consult for sure. But definitely have your baby outside in real sunlight as much as possible...protected from birds, and then warm soak when he comes back inside.

I have a month old Sulcata from Tom, and mine are in the same 80-100° humid closed chamber.

But definitely one he gets bigger...I think 5" or so??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would not let his temperatures fall below 80 .

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
mike taylor said:
I would not let his temperatures fall below 80 .
Thanks! He will just have to pout. :(
But living here in FL, we should get a few more 80+ temps before the short winter days start.