Overnight trip

Location (City and/or State)
Peru IN
Have a baby sulcata and going to be gone 2 nights. Trying to figure out if we should put him in this little travel carrier and take him with and sun him during the day and etc but he won't have any night warmer, or leave him home with just his day light or night warmer on and extra food and extra water? Thoughts?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Leave him home. Lights should be controlled by a timer and ambient heat should be controlled by a thermostat.

Soak him for an hour the day before you leave and remove the water bowl. You don't wan't him to foul the water bowl five minutes after you leave and then drink poopy water the next day. Leave a couple of spineless opuntia pads in there for him to nibble one. These are AKA "nopales" and can be found at many grocery stores and all Mexican grocery stores.

When you return, soak him for an hour again and replace the water bowl.

Peru IN
Herein lies the problem as we don't have the lights on a timer as we are always home and this is a complete rarity so I have an alarm set on my phone as to switch his lights.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Herein lies the problem as we don't have the lights on a timer as we are always home and this is a complete rarity so I have an alarm set on my phone as to switch his lights.

Are you able to drive up to Walmart real quick and buy one? The one I got from there is 6 dollars.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s much much less stressful on your Sully if you let it stay at home, get a timer and have your lights on/off on a schedule.

One thing I’m confused on is the statement - “or leave him home with just his day light or night warmer ”
From the sounds of things it doesnt sound like you have a CHE or radiant heat panel on a thermostat?

Much easier to maintain heat and light if you just let it stay at home - soak well before you and well once u get back. Watch the water bowl...so it doesnt flip n drown.

Good luck

Peru IN
Are you able to drive up to Walmart real quick and buy one? The one I got from there is 6 dollars.
I will be able to get one tomorrow. But I'm unsure what you are talking about. Could you specify please? Or show me so I know what to look for? Is it something I plug his day and night heater into??

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I will be able to get one tomorrow. But I'm unsure what you are talking about. Could you specify please? Or show me so I know what to look for? Is it something I plug his day and night heater into??

Something like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-Timer-Single-Polarized-Outlet/879295193
If your night heater can stay on at all times, plug it into the wall normally, and plug the day light(s) into a timer.
If your night heater needs to go on when the day light goes off, get two timers and use them both individually.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
As long as your place isn’t really cold and you leave some food (cactus like mentioned) give em a good soaking before leaving.... I would leave the light off if you can’t get a timer. Your sully will be fine. It’s only 2 days. Soak em when you get back

Tripsmom

Portland
Have a baby sulcata and going to be gone 2 nights. Trying to figure out if we should put him in this little travel carrier and take him with and sun him during the day and etc but he won't have any night warmer, or leave him home with just his day light or night warmer on and extra food and extra water? Thoughts?

This has been my one question since getting our tortoise. If I have to leave overnight is it better to leave him 24 with the 2 day lights on or 24 hours of his red night light?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
This has been my one question since getting our tortoise. If I have to leave overnight is it better to leave him 24 with the 2 day lights on or 24 hours of his red night light?

Better to buy a $5 timer, or two, and keep him on his regular schedule ... [emoji6]

Jamie

Last edited:

Emily Contreras

Arizona
red lights are really bad for them! Don't use that.