Possible Impaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hi guys.

My sully hasn't gone #2 since Tuesday. It's now Friday night. The last two nights, I've been giving him extra long soaks in warm water, but still nothing. He hasn't been showing signs of lethargy, and, until tonight, he had been eating fine (he ignored his dinner to go burrow tonight).

Should I be worried, or does this sort of thing just happen? If he hasn't gone by tomorrow night, should I be making a vet appointment?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....ok so what is his diet? How old is he? How long has he been with you? Where is he normally housed....indoors/outside? Is he the only tortoise in his space? :D

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
ascott said:
Hi....ok so what is his diet? How old is he? How long has he been with you? Where is he normally housed....indoors/outside? Is he the only tortoise in his space? :D

Keyser is about 6 months old - I've had him since he was a hatchling.

He eats spring mix with Mazuri at mealtimes, but has a Sulcata seed mixture to graze on through the day. I keep him indoors during the colder times, and in an outdoor environment on the warmer days. He's the only tortoise in his space, and probably in a 20 mile radius.

I'm not sure where he could have eaten something that could have done this - he's either on potting soil or cypress mulch at all times.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
ascott said:
The potting soil ....does it have those little white balls in it?

In the outdoor area, yes.

I thought those balls were just small pieces of styrofoam to help the soil breathe... I always assumed they were too small to be of any concern. Have they been known to cause impaction?

Edit: Looked it up... perlite I'm guessing. Mixed results when googled with impaction. Now I'm worried.

He usually doesn't come into contact with it even - I just use it to grow his seed mix - but, when I put him outside Tuesday, the grass was only just starting to grow, so it is very possible he came into contact and potentially digested it. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, as he is almost 300g, but maybe that is it.

Is there anything I can do for the impaction other than a vet visit? I want to be sure it is impaction before making the appointment.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, they absolutely can....now that does not mean you can not at this point assist....how long has he had the outdoor space in which he could have ingested the pieces?

I would immediately remove all of that potting soil/balls asap and not allow him access to the space until that is done....the white stands out and tortoise are a curious bunch....

So here is what I would do....try to get him a yummy treat that he may take a bite of...like strawberry or banana...but before you give it to him I would inject it with a bit of mineral oil...but make sure it is in a bite or two so he gets some in...OR you can simply continue to do warm water soaks and so so in a container that he can not climb out of or see out of...I would soak him for at least 30-40half minutes and if you have to I would set up a basking light safely above his soaking dish to keep the water warm longer...he may after about 10a minutes or so really start attempting to get out...but the exercise will also aid in movement of his bowels....just keep an eye on him to assure he does not flip in the water....I would do this a couple times a day for awhile...also, I would make sure his enclosure temp does not fall below 80° while you are encouraging the poo....you can also offer canned pumpkin (not the sweetened pie filling) as well as try to get him to nibble some cucumber or watermelon (seedless) the goal right now is to get him to get additional fluid in along with some food that aids in poo production...also, if you have warm weather you can encourage a warm outdoor wall about (but keep a hawk eye on him so not to lose him).....

Soaking, warmth and ooo producing treats are what has worked for me in the past....I had a CDT I worked with that was packed solid with same...it took him about 5-6the weeks before he produced a tootsie roll poo....but...he was an adult...if your little one is a bit backed up it will not take that length of time...just be slow and patient with him...offer hydration...warmth...poo producing treats....these are what I would and have done...:D

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
ascott said:
Yes, they absolutely can....now that does not mean you can not at this point assist....how long has he had the outdoor space in which he could have ingested the pieces?

I would immediately remove all of that potting soil/balls asap and not allow him access to the space until that is done....the white stands out and tortoise are a curious bunch....

So here is what I would do....try to get him a yummy treat that he may take a bite of...like strawberry or banana...but before you give it to him I would inject it with a bit of mineral oil...but make sure it is in a bite or two so he gets some in...OR you can simply continue to do warm water soaks and so so in a container that he can not climb out of or see out of...I would soak him for at least 30-40half minutes and if you have to I would set up a basking light safely above his soaking dish to keep the water warm longer...he may after about 10a minutes or so really start attempting to get out...but the exercise will also aid in movement of his bowels....just keep an eye on him to assure he does not flip in the water....I would do this a couple times a day for awhile...also, I would make sure his enclosure temp does not fall below 80° while you are encouraging the poo....you can also offer canned pumpkin (not the sweetened pie filling) as well as try to get him to nibble some cucumber or watermelon (seedless) the goal right now is to get him to get additional fluid in along with some food that aids in poo production...also, if you have warm weather you can encourage a warm outdoor wall about (but keep a hawk eye on him so not to lose him).....

Soaking, warmth and ooo producing treats are what has worked for me in the past....I had a CDT I worked with that was packed solid with same...it took him about 5-6the weeks before he produced a tootsie roll poo....but...he was an adult...if your little one is a bit backed up it will not take that length of time...just be slow and patient with him...offer hydration...warmth...poo producing treats....these are what I would and have done...:D

Wow! :D Thanks for all of the great information.

Tuesday was his first time in the outdoor space, so most - if not all - of the damage must have been done then.

I'll go to the store and pick up some mineral oil tomorrow to go with the constant soaks. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to a vet and an enema - that wouldn't be pleasant for any involved parties.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Just remain calm and patient...I bet he will produce a poo and better appetite soon....also, my recommendation to offer watermelon, banana, strawberry is strictly to spark interest and to offer additional internal hydration and a way to encourage him to eat as well as a possible way to get some mineral oil in him.....I say this just yo make sure you understand I would not make these items a regular part of his diet when he is back to himself....:p

Katherine

5 Year Member
Good advice you have already received, I have had a lot of success with canned pumpkin as a bulk laxative, and generally the animals don't mind eating it. Good luck :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
ascott said:
... I would not make these items a regular part of his diet when he is back to himself....:p
Your tort may well disagree with Angela and decide it doesn't want to go back to a healthy diet afterwards, but you'll just have to be tough and show who's boss! :D

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
I got him to go this morning without having to go to the store, so today is a good day.

I switched to soaking him in a larger container, one that he had plenty of room to walk around in, and then put it under the basking light. Four solid tootsie rolls after about 10 minutes.

As soon as I put him down and he is done, he looks over and notices that he didn't eat his dinner last night. Queue the full-on charge :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its sounds gross, but examine the poo for the next few days to see what you get. It can take over a week to clear what ever they eat. On bigger ones it can takes several weeks for things to work their way through. You want to know what it was and and hopefully prevent it from happening again.

Aloe is another good food with laxative properties. In most cases mineral oil and long warm soaks will "get things moving".

It is pretty difficult to find soil without all the additives and stuff... Good lesson for everyone to avoid perlite.

Status
Not open for further replies.