Overripe, Mushy Cantaloupe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Saloli said:
is that an aldabra or galapagos in the picture?

0.1 aldabra, "pretty girl" ...she's not mine per se, but i work with her everyday.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I always buy the fruit that the grocery store has clearanced to 40% of the regular price because it is starting to turn (greens and mushrooms too, when you are feeding 40 mouths it helps lol.) Think of it logically - if a wild turtle is going to eat a piece of fruit, it has to fall out of the tree first, right? And usually fruit doesn't fall from the tree until it is completely ripe and the seeds have a chance to mature. I feed fruit to my Manouria, Redfoots, Hingebacks and Three Toeds. (I very, VERY rarely give fruit to my Russians, Stars, Sulcatas, or Greek - and usually only cactus pears, oranges and mangos.) They absolutely positively go after the strong smelling, mushy overripe fruit faster than firm, fresh stuff.

Give a Hingeback an overripe fig, and you will see what I mean ;) Or a mushy strawberry to a Three Toed. They crack me up, that is the first thing they grab and literally RUN to some hidden corner with the berry in their mouth to eat it out of the view of potential thieves, a.k.a each other :D

As far as carrion - typically I feed fish, like whole smelt or chub mackerel or salmon. The forest torts/turts got a ration of chub mackerel today, and the Three Toeds had it all smeared all over their faces within a couple of minutes.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
that neat it's kind of funny in a ironic way that aldabras are with us still because their home wasn't in the main shipping lanes for european/ asia trade their nearest relatives didn't fair so well though. a book i read not too long ago you might like to read is the last tortiose

Status
Not open for further replies.