Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://youtu.be/Up0WEdKFcLs

You will see action, adventure, and tortoises 'doing it' as Kelso would say from 'that 70's show".

A couple of people sought some idea of mating combat in male P. planicauda. This is as rough as it gets, group "B", not in the video, just stare at each other, then mate.

So the slow steady process of getting new individuals is just that 'slow and steady', and bearing fruit. Thanks to a couple of you, and hopefully more in the future.

Will

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Thanks for sharing the video, Will. I'd like to see it for real some day.

markooij82

5 Year Member
Wow thank you Will for sharing !
I heard about it but this is the first time seeing it !!!
Wonderfull !

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Well, I glad it is informative.

I'd like to spend some time in the forest setting up a bunch or remote web cams so we could all see what they do. One side interest within in-situ studies of tortoises is remote monitoring. I've seen camera mounted on the animals themselves, and that so far offers the best way to see alot, but the remote mounted camera makes it more like TV than POV, and that sits better with many people, but now I'm way off topic.

These images were captured with smart phones people. lets get more up here. Still are wonderful, but the small little bit of action makes a much more compelling story, then ad some cheezy soundtrack, and it's fun.

Will

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
“The Tortoises and Turtles of Madagascar”, Miguel Pedrono, Natural History Publications, Borneo, 2008.

From the planicauda ecology section, page 51:

“Male fighting takes place during the first rains, and is closely followed by mating. Males are very aggressive during this period, with each male trying to bite the limbs of its competitors and to flip them over. It is unknown if it is only dominant males that participate in mating.”

For another point of view. Thanks markooij82 for offering another breeders observation.

Will

markooij82 said:

Great link, and thank Google for translate.

Will

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
That was freakin Awesome mate :) I havent seen a tort video done like that before Perfect soundtrack I loved it

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm glad you are finding it an interesting Video.

“The Tortoises and Turtles of Madagascar”, Miguel Pedrono, Natural History Publications, Borneo, 2008.
From the planicauda ecology section, page 51:

“Male fighting takes place during the first rains, and is closely followed by mating. Males are very aggressive during this period, with each male trying to bite the limbs of its competitors and to flip them over. It is unknown if it is only dominant males that participate in mating.”

There is a group B, not shown in the video that consists of 3.2 P. planicauda, they do not combat each other. One breeder with past larger co-housed group reported no such behavior either. I am guessing it may be a 'density dependent' act. If they already know who is dominant they don't battle, or it is a less conspicuous determinant about who is dominant.

In searching with various terms on google images and youtube, it seems like someone in Japan has bred many dozen at once, there is an image with several same size hatchlings.

If you all have some behavior or reproduction images to share about this species that would be great.

And, I am always interested in acquiring more, Wild caught, captive bred F1 etc.

Please let us get this species a more populated in each region.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.