Paint on water proofing for enclosed chamber

Tortellini0000

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver bc
Hello! Has anyone built a wooden closed chamber enclosure and used some sort of water proofing/moisture sealant that they painted on? Is this a thing? Safe? thanks!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello! I don’t doubt someone has used some sort of coating to waterproof a wooden enclosure to make a closed chamber, hopefully you’ll get some answers.

But tbh, if you’re getting a hatchling, the high humidity may get to the wood eventually.

Have you looked into greenhouse style set ups? They work well as closed chambers🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! Has anyone built a wooden closed chamber enclosure and used some sort of water proofing/moisture sealant that they painted on? Is this a thing? Safe? thanks!
I tried this several times over several years it doesn't work. Get 1/2 inch thick expanded PVC sheets. Use a material that is impervious to water.

There are two materials that can work and stand up to the constant moisture:
1. Non-toxic boat pain that is meant to be submerged. The problem with it is that it wears off with the constant tortoise shells rubbing on it, and it also very expensive.
2. Pond Shield. It can work, but its very tricky to work with and apply and its also fairly expensive. You'll need to do a thick coat, and it takes a lot of the material to do that. You have to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER very carefully or the expensive stuff will not set up, or it will set up prematurely before you can properly spread it and coat everything with it.

There is nothing bought at the store that will work. I've had whole conversations with both the paint managers at Home Depot, and their paint company supply reps. Nothing sold there will work for our constant damp substrate and wet purposes, according to them.

Tortellini0000

Vancouver bc
I tried this several times over several years it doesn't work. Get 1/2 inch thick expanded PVC sheets. Use a material that is impervious to water.

There are two materials that can work and stand up to the constant moisture:
1. Non-toxic boat pain that is meant to be submerged. The problem with it is that it wears off with the constant tortoise shells rubbing on it, and it also very expensive.
2. Pond Shield. It can work, but its very tricky to work with and apply and its also fairly expensive. You'll need to do a thick coat, and it takes a lot of the material to do that. You have to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER very carefully or the expensive stuff will not set up, or it will set up prematurely before you can properly spread it and coat everything with it.

There is nothing bought at the store that will work. I've had whole conversations with both the paint managers at Home Depot, and their paint company supply reps. Nothing sold there will work for our constant damp substrate and wet purposes, according to them.
Thanks for the reply! I’m from Vancouver Canada and have looked online for expanded pvc with little luck. I’ll have to keep researching and find something similar

Iv read countless forums of yours and they have been so helpful!! I’m still in the research phase of homing a tortoise and very drawn to the leopards and Burmese star tortoises (but they are very limited In bc and very expensive)

I look forward to learning more. Thanks!