Pale eyes

Amaripop

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hello tort fam!! Here i have my female Russian tortoise. I’ve noticed that her eyes and nose are pale. (Her nose was pale this morning but its back to its regular color as im typing this) what’s the reason her eyes are pale? I feed her all the right foods…could it be the well water that i have here at my house?
IMG_1383.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
And what exactly are all the right foods?
What are the temps?
Humidity?
Type of lighting you are using?
Type of heat?
How often soaked?
Size of enclosure as she is an adult and needs a minimum of a 4x8, not a too small aquarium.
We can't really help without knowing the answers to the questions I asked.

Amaripop

South Carolina
And what exactly are all the right foods?
What are the temps?
Humidity?
Type of lighting you are using?
Type of heat?
How often soaked?
Size of enclosure as she is an adult and needs a minimum of a 4x8, not a too small aquarium.
We can't really help without knowing the answers to the questions I asked.
I feed her kale, collards, turnip, cucumbers, and little grasses from outside. Her heat temp is at 76 and the humidity is 66. This is a dome light that im using im not sure of the heat. I soak her every other day and she has a pool of water in her home and her enclosure is a 40 gallon

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I'm not an expert but your temperature is too low. Hopefully an expert will be able to help you more soon. Try to get your heat up. How long do you keep the lights on and what bulbs are you using? Welcome to the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the enclosure needs to be a lot bigger. That needs to be done ASAP!
The temp needs to be 95-100 as a basking temp or they can't properly digest their food. Use a incandescent flood bulb for this. The rest on the enclosure needs to be 75-80 during the day and if you don't brumate, no lower than 70 at night.
This is also why the larger enclosure is needed ASAP. The one she is in can't get correct temps as it's too small. She also needs room to roam to keep muscles built up or soon she won't be able to walk properly.
Get the care improved.
The humidity is good and the diet isn't bad, but add as much variety as possible.

Amaripop

South Carolina
Thank you so so much! Ill be sure to get one as soon as i can. For the incandescent light can that be found on Amazon?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so so much! Ill be sure to get one as soon as i can. For the incandescent light can that be found on Amazon?
Yes it can be found on Amazon.
If you Google search for pop up portable greenhouse or raised beds, you should find some great enclosures for not a lot of money.
Many use the greenhouses and love them. I have used several over the years.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is the kind of greenhouse. Just have to add a tarp to the bottom for a floor. They come usually 3 feet wide, but can find them 9 and 12 feet long.
Screenshot_20231118-181319.png

Reactions: Ink

Amaripop

South Carolina
Yes it can be found on Amazon.
If you Google search for pop up portable greenhouse or raised beds, you should find some great enclosures for not a lot of money.
Many use the greenhouses and love them. I have used several over the years.
I appreciate all the information!! Ill be sure to get everything she needs!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed her kale, collards, turnip, cucumbers, and little grasses from outside. Her heat temp is at 76 and the humidity is 66. This is a dome light that im using im not sure of the heat. I soak her every other day and she has a pool of water in her home and her enclosure is a 40 gallon
Those are not the right foods. Kale, turnip greens, and collards can be offered once in a while, but not regularly. Cucumbers offer very little nutrition and Russians are not grass eaters.

It needs to be 100 degrees directly under the basking bulb. Measure that by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the heat lamp and letting it cook for an hour. Adjust the height of the bulb as needed.

What is a "cool" light? Are you using a coil type UV bulb in that fixture?

40 gallons is way too small.

All the things you are doing are the typical pet store set up stuff. Is that where you got your tortoise advice? Are you also using a ramped water bowl?

Please read these thread for the correct care advice. Your tortoise will not remain healthy if you do not make some major changes.

Amaripop

South Carolina
Those are not the right foods. Kale, turnip greens, and collards can be offered once in a while, but not regularly. Cucumbers offer very little nutrition and Russians are not grass eaters.

It needs to be 100 degrees directly under the basking bulb. Measure that by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the heat lamp and letting it cook for an hour. Adjust the height of the bulb as needed.

What is a "cool" light? Are you using a coil type UV bulb in that fixture?

40 gallons is way too small.

All the things you are doing are the typical pet store set up stuff. Is that where you got your tortoise advice? Are you also using a ramped water bowl?

Please read these thread for the correct care advice. Your tortoise will not remain healthy if you do not make some major changes.

I did get my tortoise from a pet store. Im not sure of the light…it came with the tank. And she doesnt have a ramp water bowl…its like a deep dish

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
X
I did get my tortoise from a pet store. Im not sure of the light…it came with the tank. And she doesnt have a ramp water bowl…its like a deep dish
terracotta saucers work best for Water and food dishes. It's textured enough for them to get traction to get out. Also make them level with the substrate also.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read the care sheet I linked and make some changes. The pet store told you the wrong info and sold you the wrong products. We want to help you get it right and keep your tortoise healthy and happy.