Pancake not doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
My new pancake isn't doing very well. :( He looks dehydrated, is barely eating, and doesn't even walk around much. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been soaking him every day and offering him wet greens. His basking spot is 95 or so, with the ambient temp around 80-85. I put him out in the grass to graze - but he just sits there and doesn't eat at all. I will take him to the vet tomorrow to see if he needs subQ fluids, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong. (Someone suggested I use an under tank heater instead of an overhead light to keep him from getting dehydrated. I don't have him in a glass enclosure though - so this isn't really an option. I've been told overhead lighting/heat is the best and this is what I've always used with everyone else.) I'm so new to pancakes and am terrified that I might lose him.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
My new pancake isn't doing very well. :( He looks dehydrated, is barely eating, and doesn't even walk around much. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been soaking him every day and offering him wet greens. His basking spot is 95 or so, with the ambient temp around 80-85. I put him out in the grass to graze - but he just sits there and doesn't eat at all. I will take him to the vet tomorrow to see if he needs subQ fluids, but I need to know what I'm doing wrong. (Someone suggested I use an under tank heater instead of an overhead light to keep him from getting dehydrated. I don't have him in a glass enclosure though - so this isn't really an option. I've been told overhead lighting/heat is the best and this is what I've always used with everyone else.) I'm so new to pancakes and am terrified that I might lose him.

I don't know pancakes, but I imagine the baby food soak might be helpful. I hope he's better soon.

-Devon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes on the baby food soak (carrots or squash or sweet potatoes), and shoot us a picture of his habitat.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
My pancakes will not graze if I am out there with them. It took about 2 months before I noticed the little things I had planted in their enclosure were starting to get eaten. Mine like their privacy VERY much. Even after a few years my male will not come out if I am around. My female has gotten used to me but is still not outgoing. She will just tolerate me. Hopefully there is nothing going on with yours. Are they CB? Maybe a parasite issue.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
GotTurtles said:
My pancakes will not graze if I am out there with them. It took about 2 months before I noticed the little things I had planted in their enclosure were starting to get eaten. Mine like their privacy VERY much. Even after a few years my male will not come out if I am around. My female has gotten used to me but is still not outgoing. She will just tolerate me. Hopefully there is nothing going on with yours. Are they CB? Maybe a parasite issue.

Yes, he is captive bred. I've only had him a couple weeks. The first day he ate great - since then it has been going downhill. He has an appointment tomorrow - and I will give him the carrot soak tonight.

johanna

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Maybe parasites? My vet recommends giving a dewormer for tortoises, so I did that for mine.
My pancake is super active. Especially after I rearrange the tank. He eats right out of my hand. I keep his tank dry with a shallow bowl of water big enough to crawl into. I soak him every 3 or so days just until he poops. Feed only organic greens. Maybe you are keeping him too humid.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Ours are super eaters. They can chow down on endive and cactus pads. They also like Mazuri. Any update? How is he doing?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thank you - as for an update ... he is the same. I soak him every night in either squash or carrot baby food and he drinks a lot - but he will not eat. He barely even moves around. If its warm enough (like today) I put him out in his outside enclosure and he does walk around a little there - but still doesn't eat. I have read that they might like belly heat more than overhead heat, so I'm trying an under tank heater now. Anything ... any advice will be appreciated.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
can you share exact specifics of his set up? substrate? uva/uvb bulb? ceramic heat emitter? rocks to hide in? diet? these may help. i'd avoid belly heat as their undersides are soft unlike other turtles.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
earthyman71 said:
can you share exact specifics of his set up? substrate? uva/uvb bulb? ceramic heat emitter? rocks to hide in? diet? these may help. i'd avoid belly heat as their undersides are soft unlike other turtles.

He is in a large tank now with dry cocnut coir. I don't have a uv bulb as I put him outside almost daily. His basking spot is near 100 at the hottest place - with the overall temp about 85. He has tunnels to hide in - which he does and water at all times. (He has rocks and tunnels outside as well.) As far as his diet goes - he doesn't eat anything - just drinks carrot/squash water. I was treating him with Baytril for a runny nose, but that seems to be cleared up now. I finally switched to belly heat, along with overhead heat because a friend of mine keeps her on rabbit pellets (which I don't agree with) with an under tank heater and no overhead heat, and hers is doing great! The under tank heater is only under a fourth of the tank - s he can get off of it whenever he wants.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hmm he won't touch it. Picky little booger! Since he likes the squash water, have you tried to give him some actual squash, maybe steamed a little so it is easier for him to eat? Or maybe just feed him some before you put it in his water? What about aloe vera, my torties really love it. Keep trying, must be very frustrating for you!!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I think it's time for some "tough love." Give your pancake a week or so without food. Then when he's hungry enough, he WILL warm up to the foods he should be eating.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If this is an adult tough love should work but if this is a sick baby tough love won't work on it.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Torty Mom said:
Hmm he won't touch it. Picky little booger! Since he likes the squash water, have you tried to give him some actual squash, maybe steamed a little so it is easier for him to eat? Or maybe just feed him some before you put it in his water? What about aloe vera, my torties really love it. Keep trying, must be very frustrating for you!!

Great idea! I will try steaming some squash for him. The things we go through for our tortoises! :)

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
GotTurtles said:

reilly could be parasites, mine had them when i first got them. doing great now.good luck lindy

momo said:
GotTurtles said:

reilly could be parasites, mine had them when i first got them. doing great now.good luck lindy ~my female in the summer follows me up and down the back yard while the male follows her! always been that way.LOL'

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Do you know what the breeder/seller was feeding him? I would try that (whether it's the best or not)then wean him off that to whatever you want him to eat. You can also try feeding in a small box with just him and food, no other distractions, and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.