panther vs veil chameleons?

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
Don't know how many people keep these. Would like to learn more about them seem as strange as a pancake tortoise. I know they don't live near each other, but I find them very interesting. I took as picture off the internet. Very cool little rigs. Always have my cakes , just looking. They seem friendly , aware of all around.them. any stories? Pictures? Would enjoy pet owner advise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I raised JACKSONS for a while. They can be quite difficult to keep healthy.
I had a huge Panther that a pet store gave me for free. He was very nasty and loved to hiss and bite! Not at all what you would expect. (A Jacksons will not bite.)
There is actually a breeding colony of these in Palm Beach county from what I understand. They also live in Hawaii.
Do your research. They require special attention.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
I raised JACKSONS for a while. They can be quite difficult to keep healthy.
I had a huge Panther that a pet store gave me for free. He was very nasty and loved to hiss and bite! Not at all what you would expect. (A Jacksons will not bite.)
There is actually a breeding colony of these in Palm Beach county from what I understand. They also live in Hawaii.
Do your research. They require special attention.

There are also [at least] 2 'wild' breeding populations of Veiled Chams in Lee county (Ft Myers area).

Melissa319

5 Year Member
outside of Phoenix, AZ
I have two veileds (one male, one female - siblings) and really enjoy them. They're a lot of work, they don't drink standing water so need to be misted well, and often to stay hydrated and healthy. Mine are on a Mist King system and set up to be misted somewhere around 8x a day. They are temperature sensitive and they eat quite a bit, so need lots of live prey. They're not a fan of being handled, definitely more display animal than hands-on. Veiled's don't get as big as Panthers and are recommended for beginners over Panthers for sure.

Definitely do lots of research if you're interested, it's rewarding to care for them but as I said, a LOT of work.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I too have an adult male veiled. Like said above, lots of work. I would not get another veiled, lot meaner then the panthers from all the threads I have read about them. Check out chameleonforum.com. If you get a young one and work with it, handle it every day it will be friendly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chameleons are fantastic animals. Definitely a look, but don't touch very often sort of pet. Having them zap a bug right out of your hand is an amazing experience. Veiled chameleons are pretty easy, but I've seen a lot of adults just go on hunger strikes for no apparent reason. Can anyone with more experience than me shed some light on this? I think panthers are just as hardy and easy, but they do need a bit more humidity, which makes them more challenging in my climate.

Personally Meller's were always my favorites, but good luck finding a CB melleri. I always had good success keeping them alive, but sadly, I never even attempted to breed them. Hindsight...

Never had any luck with jackson's, but my buddy who lived on the beach did. He kept them outside full time with no heat of any kind and they thrived in that cold clammy beach air. If I ever get back to Oahu, I'm sneaking on to that golf course at night and checking out the "wild" ones.

Same friend also had luck with some dwarf species in indoor cages with a bit more warmth. Brookesia, if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, I found them very rewarding to keep and they were relatively easy, as long as you set them up correctly. Start your roach colony long before you get your lizard...

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have raised and bred Jackson's, veileds and panther chameleons for over 17 years. They are a very unique looking reptile. Chameleons do require a particular environment to be raised(cage, humidity and temperature).
The coloration of a male panther chameleon can be mind blowing. Panthers and Jackson's usually have good dispositions. Some male veileds can have an attitude.
Whatever type you get, it will be a very rewarding experience for you.
If you have any questions, fell free to PM me or call/text me.
Lance
(562)458-8304ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1424798636.394363.jpg

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
I have raised and bred Jackson's, veileds and panther chameleons for over 17 years. They are a very unique looking reptile. Chameleons do require a particular environment to be raised(cage, humidity and temperature).
The coloration of a male panther chameleon can be mind blowing. Panthers and Jackson's usually have good dispositions. Some male veileds can have an attitude.
Lance
(562)458-8304View attachment 119667
Wow! Why thank you. Very nice indeed. I don't play(handle) "lol" that much. I think k it keep them happy. They aren't afraid of me at all. I don't need one. But wood love to have one someday. I'm good at pancakes. If I did get a new pet............you know it. Thank y o u so much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Lancecham
Since this is just a general chameleon question thread, can we talk chameleons a bit?

Ever seen the male calyptratus just stop eating the way I described? I've seen it about 10 times over the years, but you have far more experience. What is that? All seems good. All parameters are good. Varied diet. Sunshine. No stress. And then sudden anorexia. What do you think? Never seen it in any other chameleon species.

If they are breeding you have obviously worked out what works for Jackson's. Is it just too hot and dry up my way? Do you have a care sheet with the latest info for Jacksons?

That panther is one of the nicest I've seen. Must be the roach diet. I see that lateralis back there...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Lance
(562)458-8304View attachment 119667
WOW! ! !

This is a beautiful animal.. But my wife don't like them :(

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
I just love them. Will be reading up on them. I like the strange little things in life. Anyone know the name of the chameleons with the horns. Three horns. I think. Love those too. Need to learn this stuff. Cakes I got , this is all new to me.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They are stunning creatures. I have heard the panther is very diffucult to raise. ( no personal; exp.)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I just love them. Will be reading up on them. I like the strange little things in life. Anyone know the name of the chameleons with the horns. Three horns. I think. Love those too. Need to learn this stuff. Cakes I got , this is all new to me.
That would be the Jacksons I believe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are stunning creatures. I have heard the panther is very diffucult to raise. ( no personal; exp.)

I've heard this about all chameleon species. They just require the right set up and good hydration technique. I never had any trouble with panthers.