Papers/Registration concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
So I bought my sulcata from a breeder(according to him) here. According to him, they have this farm where they breed tortoise. In the first time I saw him, interviewed and asked questions, I think he is reliable. Their family owned a petshop in town but sulcatas are by order. Meaning not in display or not in stock in the store.

When I bought my sulcata, he told me he(my sulcata) and the other hatchlings in the same clutch were already registered in our countries government department of natural resources where (registration)microchip was placed into each of them.

My questions are:
1. Do sulcatas need to be registered like dogs?
2. If so, what system, are paperworks invloved, or just microchip
3. If so, how can I be sure if I bought a registered sulcata by just being told so that it is "microchipped".

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I read your post, but do not know the laws in the Philippines. :( I would suggest you contact the Natural Resources Dept and ask them yourself.

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
In your country, what are the laws about having sulcata tortoise as a pet? Do you have paperworks or microchip as registration?

doctrin13th

5 Year Member
Philippines
Is there any owner of a sulcata tortoise here who had acquired the tort with papers or microchip?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, if we want to micro chip our tortoises here in the States, we have to do it ourselves. Its not a common practice here. And only native turtles and tortoises have to be registered. Any legal exotic species can usually be purchased at pet stores with no restrictions.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
You can take your tort to the Vet and asked to have him scanned for a chip. If he has one, it should show up. You should have received paperwork when you got your tort that shows the chip number and what to do to register it. Its usualy something you do on line. sometimes you have to pay a little more to do so.
As for legal papers where you are.. I dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.