Paranoid about Pyramiding

mbakes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austin,TX
This little “dude” is about 4 months old, getting two soaks a day, has a humid hide, and keeping humidity at least at 60%, temp doesn’t drop below 80 degrees (on thermostat) + uvb basking spot around 100 degrees. We live in Texas so on sunny days he gets some real rays. He has a good appetite - eating mustard greens, collard greens, bok choy, arugula, and some Mazuri. Has a shallow water bowl at all times, and coco coir substrate.

Worried that I need to keep it more humid to improve smoothness of shell! Just wanted thoughts on what he looks like so far! Thanks in advance!

C6A17EFB-75C6-4A0B-B4B6-D4548A8C7793.jpeg DF97D3B2-ED8E-4ABA-935A-AD6C3C7F8C61.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
When you say UVB basking, do you mean a mercury vapor bulb?

I would get your humidity to 80-100%.

Can we see a picture of your enclosure?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just my personal opinion, but I think some torts are more prone to pyramiding than others (genetics?). I've seen sullies posted here with absolutely no visible pyramiding and others with more noticeable pyramiding. Granted the latter "claim" to be doing everything as suggested to prevent pyramiding, we can only take their word that is the case. We can also only assume that whatever breeder they got their tort(s) from did everything properly; not only during the incubation phase, but also post-hatching. Many variables that play into if, when, and how much pyramiding one can expect. Proper diet, humidity, temperature, environment, available UVB..... they all seem to play a part. As tortoise owners, we are tasked with trying our best to raise happy healthy tortoises. Your tort is showing some pyramiding, no doubt. My Ghost looked very similar the day I brought him home. However, with help of the folks in this forum, I was able to adjust certain things to minimize the effects as Ghost grew bigger. Is he smooth as glass? Not by a long shot. But I'm very happy with how his shell is turning out considering the environment I rescued him from. :)

mbakes

5 Year Member
Austin,TX
Here’s his home for now, his humid hide has moss in and around it. I will get that humidity up and cover the top openings as well. Does that mean you guys think he looks bad?? I am just trying to do right by him! I don’t want him not growing smooth!

Attachments

• E1458BA6-FCD8-4F7B-8CEE-F6639E46BBAC.jpeg
    E1458BA6-FCD8-4F7B-8CEE-F6639E46BBAC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here’s his home for now, his humid hide has moss in and around it. I will get that humidity up and cover the top openings as well. Does that mean you guys think he looks bad?? I am just trying to do right by him! I don’t want him not growing smooth!
Your baby is pyramiding. How long have you had it?

The open top will allow humidity to escape. You need a closed chamber. Everything else sounds good. Spraying the shell with water several times a day will help too.

They will eat the moss and it can cause impaction. You don't need it.

mbakes

5 Year Member
Austin,TX
Your baby is pyramiding. How long have you had it?

The open top will allow humidity to escape. You need a closed chamber. Everything else sounds good. Spraying the shell with water several times a day will help too.

They will eat the moss and it can cause impaction. You don't need it.

Only had him for a couple of weeks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Only had him for a couple of weeks
In that case, the pyramiding started before you got him, but you now have the challenge of stopping it.

Closed chamber is the only way to go.

mbakes

5 Year Member
Austin,TX
In that case, the pyramiding started before you got him, but you now have the challenge of stopping it.

Closed chamber is the only way to go.

I can constructed a top with dowels and plastic sheeting - it is now a closed chamber! I really hope this stops the pyramiding. Thank you for your advice, Tom!