Parasites and treatment

ToritheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
South New Jersey
I am a new member, I went to my vet with a poop sample and he said that my Tori ( Leopard Tortoise) has pin worms.
He gave me Panacur 10% and I am to give her .5ml once daily for 5 days. All I have read in this forum say to space the dosage. What do you think???? Tori is 2 yr. and weight is 950 grams.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since you're paying your vet for his advice and treatment, I'd certainly follow his directions. He must have a reason for telling you like he did. We should never second guess. Maybe because your tortoise is so small, and the worm load is so high, he didn't want to kill them all off at once, which would cause a big problem with that little tortoise. Just follow his directions. He knows what he's doing.

There are times when you would question your vet and maybe get a second opinion, but I think in this case it's quite ok to follow his directions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...oh, and - Welcome to the Forum!!

ToritheTortoise

South New Jersey
Since you're paying your vet for his advice and treatment, I'd certainly follow his directions. He must have a reason for telling you like he did. We should never second guess. Maybe because your tortoise is so small, and the worm load is so high, he didn't want to kill them all off at once, which would cause a big problem with that little tortoise. Just follow his directions. He knows what he's doing.

There are times when you would question your vet and maybe get a second opinion, but I think in this case it's quite ok to follow his directions.
Thank you so much, I feel much better about the medication dosage.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Pinworms are a very common parasite that may have a symbiotic relationship with the host. I would not deworm for Pinworms especially when Panacur can cause liver and kidney necrosis at high doses. I would say all of my tortoises have Oxyuris and Nyctotherus. I ignore them. If the tortoises are thriving and gaining weight, why deworm them?