Worm Treatment?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I am not sure if my tortoise has worms, and I'm planning to hibernate him. Can I just use Panacur or something to prevent the worms, or do I need to take him to the vet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to get the correct dosage for the weight of your animal from a vet.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Would it be better to just get treatment from the vet? We have exotic vets pretty close to us, and he can also get a check up. Or does Panacur do the exact same thing?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You first need to have an experienced tortoise vet run a fecal check to see if you have worms to treat. If you do have worms, the vet will ID them and get you the correct medicine in the correct dose for your individual tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So a trip to the vet is a good idea?

Not necessarily. If everything is fine and the tortoise has good weight, then I see no need for it. Vets sometimes do more harm than good. Not always, but sometimes. I've heard horror stories from all around the country. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
Is it okay if I take him to the vet for a checkup, just in case? I'm hoping he can also be tested for worms.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Is it okay if I take him to the vet for a checkup, just in case? I'm hoping he can also be tested for worms.
absolutely it's your animal if you want to take it to the vet feel free to do so.