parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty0071

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
england
if a horsefield tort have to many parasites how can you reduce these ???

matty
:(:(:(

chadk

10 Year Member!
How do you know it has too many? What kind? How much is too much?

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
chadk said:
How do you know it has too many? What kind? How much is too much?

not sure what kind just a few to many last year the vet said but he never wanted to treat them im just thinking that i should do something to prevent them from getting worse any ideas i dont really want to take her back to the vet because ive heard some bad things about them should i just worm the tort?

matty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Any vet can do a fecal test for worms. I would take a fresh sample to a different vet and see if the tortoise still has worms. If so, the de-wormer of choice for tortoises is Panacur. We can't post dosages on the forum because there are different strengths of Panacur, but your vet can look it up and dose the tortoise for you.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Not sure what kind but you want to "worm" the tortoise anyway? Are you sure that it's worms or is it protozoa?
Is the tortoise eating normally, drinking normally, active and acting normally? Look normal? Is the tortoise normal weight for it's size? Is there evidence of worms in the tortoises feces? Is the feces solid and dark brown or is it runny and green? I personally would look at all these points before ever pumping meds down a tortoise's throat.
If the vet mentioned that your tortoises had parasites but didn't feel it warranted to treat the tortoise a year ago then obviously they can't be too bad if the tortoise has gone a year in the same condition. The vet apparently didn't think that it was bad enough.
If a tortoise has a higher than normal concentration of flagellates or protozoa then there may be cause to be treated. But keep in mind that parasites are present in a tortoises digestive system at all times and as long as they are at a normal level, help to provide a valuable digestive process for the tortoise. When the parasites flourish out of control the host suffers but if you medicate unnecessarily and kill all the parasites the host may also suffer then too.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
In addition, if the tort has parasites other than or in addition to worms, the dewormer won't do anything for those. I agree to take a fresh sample in and see the current state of things, then treat if necessary. Sometimes for mild-moderate parasite cases you will see no symptoms, but I think it is best to treat them so you don't have any future risks. The problem in parasites is when they get out of hand, or the tortoise is ill and the parasites get out of hand in a weakened immune system. Low levels of parasites are normal and acceptable, but in higher levels they should be treated. If the vet was experienced in reptiles and you trust them, then they likely thought the levels were too low to treat. Another reason you want to get your tort a fecal test yearly. Parasites come in cycles so for first-time tests it is best to get two about 3-4 months apart. I don't believe in medicating without a fecal test (some people think torts should be wormed on a regular basis such as yearly). Medications can be very tough on a tort's tummy and system. Parasites are more of a problem in captivity due to stress, enclosures (the tort doesn't move into a new environment daily like they do in the wild and will re-infect themselves with fecal matter), etc. Best wishes.

matty0071

5 Year Member
england
tortoisenerd said:
In addition, if the tort has parasites other than or in addition to worms, the dewormer won't do anything for those. I agree to take a fresh sample in and see the current state of things, then treat if necessary. Sometimes for mild-moderate parasite cases you will see no symptoms, but I think it is best to treat them so you don't have any future risks. The problem in parasites is when they get out of hand, or the tortoise is ill and the parasites get out of hand in a weakened immune system. Low levels of parasites are normal and acceptable, but in higher levels they should be treated. If the vet was experienced in reptiles and you trust them, then they likely thought the levels were too low to treat. Another reason you want to get your tort a fecal test yearly. Parasites come in cycles so for first-time tests it is best to get two about 3-4 months apart. I don't believe in medicating without a fecal test (some people think torts should be wormed on a regular basis such as yearly). Medications can be very tough on a tort's tummy and system. Parasites are more of a problem in captivity due to stress, enclosures (the tort doesn't move into a new environment daily like they do in the wild and will re-infect themselves with fecal matter), etc. Best wishes.
no worms are visible she aint eating like she should but that is since she came out of hibernation she has been acting a bit strange but her eating is getting better slowly she was hibernated for 2 weeks and woke straight away i heard butternut squash is good for keeworms down is this true thankyou to everyone that is helping me on the matters iam unsure about
i just want her to be as happy as she can be i am ringing a vet today about samples to see what they say thanks again

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I would be concerned if your tortoise does not have voracious appetite coming out of hibernation. That is not normal. It should want to eat everything in sight, at least for the first couple of weeks out of hibernation. Two weeks really isn't a hibernation. Was the tortoise properly conditioned (temperature and light cycle drop) and it's digestive system cleaned out before going into hibernation? That is extremely important before putting a tortoise into hibernation. Upon awakening from hibernation the first thing, once the tortoise has warmed up a bit, is to ensure that it takes in fresh water. Many, after a long hibernation will consume large amounts of water before ever touching any food. Normal hibernation length deydrate tortoises and the first thing they need to do is replenish themselves which will also help them to expel wastes accumulated during hibernation. At that point they will usually eat everything that you place in front of them provided that they are being kept at normal activity levels.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I am also very curious for more info about this two week hibernation. If it was not done properly, of if the tort was woken up too early, that could explain the lack of appetite. Glad to hear the appetite is improving though. That is a good sign. A vet checkup for overall health including a fecal test for parasites is my recommendation--great to read you are at least getting the fecal test done. How long has it been since hibernation? Great advice above from GBtortoises on the water.

Some people do believe that squash and pumpkin have deworming properties, but it is only the seeds. You would have to grind them up. I have not seen any scientific evidence to this and personally believe in modern medicine. Also, if you don't know if the tort has parasites, and don't know what type, there isn't much use in the shotgun approach with any type of dewormer (be it a medication or ground up seeds).

Status
Not open for further replies.