Preventing further pyramiding?

[email protected]

5 Year Member
My horsefield Timmy came to me with pyramiding is there anyway I can reduce this? Is it just reducing the amount he eats?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1395340655.660711.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Diet is only a small portion of the pyramiding equation. Russian tortoises need a bit of humidity in their habitat, more so when they are babies, they need a healthy and varied diet, they need exercise and they need sunshine. If any one of those things is wrong or missing, you will have a lumpy tortoise.

This link will tell you what to feed your Russian tortoise:

http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Ok thank you! I'm building him an outdoor enclosure in the next few weeks so he can enjoy the summer outside!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. It is not caused by diet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When it comes to the Mediterranean species of tortoise, I think that the other things I mentioned come into play to, and are a very important part, not just the humidity issue.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Ok thanks! I've been growing weeds so hopefully will be able to give them to him soon. I'm sure I'll be on here asking lots more questions so thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G said:
When it comes to the Mediterranean species of tortoise, I think that the other things I mentioned come into play to, and are a very important part, not just the humidity issue.

Well again you can take those other factors to the extremes in either direction and still grow a smooth tortoise if there is humidity and hydration. Remove humidity and hydration and those other factors won't matter won't matter one way or the other as far as pyramiding goes.

As I've said before, I think all of those factors are important for growing a healthy tortoise, but their role in pyramiding is minimal in my experience.