Bickering Tortoises

TimmyAndShelly

I have two male russian tortoises. I know they will probably never get along, but I there anyway that they could get along? It takes up a lot of space having two tortoise enclosures and it would be nice just to have one big enclosure. I have had one (Timmy) for 10 years. And the other (Shelly) for 2 years. I suppose Timmy feels annoyed that another tortoise is in the house, but I was just wondering if there was any way that they might be able to get along. Thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I think 2 separate enclosures would take up less space than a single enclosure large enough to try and keep a pair in peace.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your two Russian tortoises might be able to cohabitate if they were in a large, safe outdoor enclosure (where they belong). In my opinion, tortoises' main enclosure, especially Russian tortoises, should be outside, with indoor enclosures for inclement weather. Outside, with bushes, large rocks, etc. to act as sight barriers helps territorial tortoises to live together without too much fighting.

Maybe you can build some sort of stand so that you can have two indoor enclosures that take up the same space, one above the other.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry, wish there was some magical cure to cause them to get along and to do so in a limited space, but that's not a reality. Can you spread upward?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you certain Shelly is indeed a she and not a possible Sheldon???:D

Ohhh, forget my post....just sunk in what I read in the first sentence just as I hit the go button....apologies...:p