Pelleted Hay

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I found a local feed store selling pelleted hay for horses. I was thinking to get them for my torts. When feeding them I could soak the hay and they could become a nice mush for them to eat similar to Grass Land Tortoise Diet. Would that be an adequate feed?
IMG_1498.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I prefer the cubed over the pellet. I am feeding stars, leopards and sulcatas. They all seem to like it. I use it as a great way to really add fiber to the diet this time of year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found a local feed store selling pelleted hay for horses. I was thinking to get them for my torts. When feeding them I could soak the hay and they could become a nice mush for them to eat similar to Grass Land Tortoise Diet. Would that be an adequate feed?

Two things to note:
  1. Be sure there are no additives like molasses or any kind of binding agents.
  2. I see a russian in your avatar pic. If you are feeding a russian, they really aren't grass eaters. You can use this products in small amounts if you soak it and mix it in with the greens, but your tortoise isn't likely to eat it plain, and if it does eat it plain, its not really the best diet for your species of tortoise.