Rusky

Location (City and/or State)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
So my Russian refuses to have the ZooMed Grassland pellets. I have heard that this is a fairly common phenomenon. It makes it easier for me if I just feed him pellets a couple of days a week. How should I persuade him to have it? I moisten the pellets and mix them in with greens, but he will only accidentally eat small bits of the pellets. I have also heard that Mazuri can be more popular. Should I try it instead? Please share your thoughts about various pellets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First priority shouldn't be "easier for me," but rather, good food for the tortoise. Tortoises don't have to eat pellets to be healthy. If he won't eat them, then you just have to feed him fresh food. You can wet a pellet then mash it up and stir it into the fresh food. Start with one pellet. Once he's gotten used to the smell of mashed pellet on his food and is eating it readily, you can add a bit more. Some tortoises never take to pellets, some do.

Rusky

Allentown, Pennsylvania
First priority shouldn't be "easier for me," but rather, good food for the tortoise. Tortoises don't have to eat pellets to be healthy. If he won't eat them, then you just have to feed him fresh food. You can wet a pellet then mash it up and stir it into the fresh food. Start with one pellet. Once he's gotten used to the smell of mashed pellet on his food and is eating it readily, you can add a bit more. Some tortoises never take to pellets, some do.
I suppose you're right. He'll just extract the leaves and leave the pellets. I'm going to order some seeds and cactus to grow indoors, but meanwhile I'll just have to make do with what I can find at the supermarket because it's winter.

Russian Rehab

ma
I had the same issue with zoo med. I live alone and there are times when i have to leave my home for 36 hours for work and i want him to have a pellet option because his greens wilt and dry up in about 24 hours. I tried all the recommended tricks to get him to eat them and he just wouldn't. What worked for me was to switch brands and let him try some different pellet options. It seems like Zoo med is the healthiest option which is why i tried so hard to get it to work but in real life even people who want to do the best for their pets have to make certain compromises. My tort finally decided he liked the petsmart store store brand "all living things" tortoise food so when i have to stay out over night he will get those as a special treat even though they are not the healthiest.

I would recommend trying some other brands starting with healthy ones and working your way down till you find what works. then you have to make the decision about how frequently you feel comfortable feeding the food. if you get him to accept a pretty healthy one that a few days a week would probably be fine. if he is a butt like mine and will only take the least healthy fast food equivalent pellets that save them for emergency like unexpected overnight trips.

i hope that helps!