Permit question

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello!!
I’m mailing my permit application today but I’m not sure if I’m over thinking the mailing directions. On https://tortoise.org/general/permit_rev.html it states to send ALL copies to the CTTC and do not send it to the CDFW but in the application itself it states to send a copy to the CDFW. What should I do?
Also, for how I acquired the tortoise, I got Chibi from my grandparents after their friend left her to them when he passed away. Will “inherited from family (long term captive)” suffice?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!!
I’m mailing my permit application today but I’m not sure if I’m over thinking the mailing directions. On https://tortoise.org/general/permit_rev.html it states to send ALL copies to the CTTC and do not send it to the CDFW but in the application itself it states to send a copy to the CDFW. What should I do?
Also, for how I acquired the tortoise, I got Chibi from my grandparents after their friend left her to them when he passed away. Will “inherited from family (long term captive)” suffice?
It used to go to CDFW years ago, but now they just go to CTTC chapters.

"Inherited from my grandparents" is a sufficient method of acquisition.

Southern California
I adopted directly from SDTTS about two weeks ago and was approved and given my tag on the spot.

The fine print on the permit says AFTER (if) you’ve been approved to send a copy to CDFW. He said it was really important that I mail my copy to CDFW. They keep records on who they grant permits to and spreadsheets etc. and compare and contrast to CDFW at some point. They are tracking them and report back what % of people actually forward the CDFW copy after being awarded a permit through CTTC or SDTTS.

So mail the initial copy to one of the two, and only after your permit is granted by them and a tag provided, as a final measure you send the third copy to CDFW for their records.

Reactions: Tom
California
I adopted directly from SDTTS about two weeks ago and was approved and given my tag on the spot.

The fine print on the permit says AFTER (if) you’ve been approved to send a copy to CDFW. He said it was really important that I mail my copy to CDFW. They keep records on who they grant permits to and spreadsheets etc. and compare and contrast to CDFW at some point. They are tracking them and report back what % of people actually forward the CDFW copy after being awarded a permit through CTTC or SDTTS.

So mail the initial copy to one of the two, and only after your permit is granted by them and a tag provided, as a final measure you send the third copy to CDFW for their records.
oop I put all three in the envelope, hopefully i’ll be approved and they also give the CDFW copy back lol. Do I need to worry about having her while I’m waiting approval? I want everything to go smoothly but I tend to overthink/over worry.

Southern California
oop I put all three in the envelope, hopefully i’ll be approved and they also give the CDFW copy back lol. Do I need to worry about having her while I’m waiting approval? I want everything to go smoothly but I tend to overthink/over worry.

I think someone else could answer with more certainty, but I mean… I doubt it!

You have her, you’re doing the right thing and have a permit application submitted. I don’t think they want to harass people that are trying to do it the right way. Now the Desert Tortoise I saw on CL for $350 in OC for a week or two, that person they may be less friendly with, or maybe they get an education, a warning, and their tort confiscated- who knows.

I believe that submitting the 3 copies to them is the correct way to do it, that way the person permitting signs it. So you should get it back to submit to CDFW.

If you lose her in the meantime, and let’s say she went to the humane society, you would have no rights to get her back without the permit from what I was told- even if you could prove she was yours. So I would be doubly sure she can’t escape in the meantime!!