Chandler925

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth, TX
Welcome!
Greek tortoises are also worth considering. I have a “Southern” locale Ibera Greek tortoise and he’s very active, VERY personable and instantly comes over to us if we walk up to his tub. He prefers being hand fed and loves to cruise around exploring the house and yard and seems to be a lot more interested in interacting with us than my friends sulcatas ( I have three different friends with sulcatas) And the best part is that Tortellini is able to live inside and outside because his species tend to be very hearty and tolerant of both hot and cold conditions. I’ve been told they’re pretty much like a Hermanns just slightly bigger than the average Hermanns and more tolerant of both heat and cold.
Thank you!! I haven’t looked into them much at all!!

Chandler925

Fort Worth, TX
This is a great question. It is interesting to me reading all the opinions and biases from all of us here.

The first thing to understand is that there are no tortoise "breeds". The different tortoises are all different species. A chihuahua and a St. Bernard are different breeds, but they are the same species. A Russian and a red foot are two different species.

We are fortunate to have many species to choose from. I'll give my biased opinions of the ones mentioned here that I have experience with, and a few others.

Sulcatas - I think they have the best personalities of any tortoise species. I love them and have been keeping and breeding them since the early 90s. Having said all of that, they are the wrong species for MOST people and they present expensive life altering challenges for most people. I usually recommend against them and try to talk most people out of getting one. I think you are wise for eliminating this species from your list.

Leopards - There are two types: "Regular" leopards and South African leopards. Same species, but very different animals. To add confusion, there are many mixes of the two running around and being bred. Regular leopards stay a little smaller, tend to eat less grass, and are usually shy. SA leopards are bold, eat hay as adults, and get bigger. I think the personality of the regular one will cross this one off your list, and the size of the SA leopard will cross that one off your list.

Pancakes - Wonderful tortoises. Also shy tortoises that hide a lot. That is why they are flat and flexible. Because they hide all day in rock crevices. I like them, but I wouldn't recommend them to someone looking for an outgoing friendly tortoise.

Russians - Small, scrappy, hardy, adaptable, escape artists, usually not fearful as adults. A good choice for your criterion.

Hermanni - Similar to Russians, but less escape prone, they don't disappear into the dirt like a stingray, slightly larger than Russians, and they tend to be more personable than Russians. I also find them much more visually appealing than Russians. I think these should be at the top of your list.

Greeks - Same as hermanni. I see hermanni as more outgoing, but this will vary with individuals. You might get a bold greek or a shy hermanni, but either will work.

Indian stars- Very shy, and can be delicate in some cases. Less tolerant of mistakes. Need it warm year round. They cannot be allowed to get cool. Stay small.

Red footed tortoises - They tend to be personable and will be larger than a Russian or hermanni. They do best in humid warm climates. A little bigger then the Testudo.

Marginated - Slightly bigger than the greeks or hermanni, but similar in most ways. A good choice if you like the greeks or Hermanni, but want something just a little bit larger at around 11 inches instead of 8-10.

Burmese Stars - This might be the perfect tortoise for what you are looking for. Bold and outgoing, personable, 8-11 inches in size, hardy, easy to care for, beautiful, very adaptable to any climate in the US without getting sick from either too much humidity OR too much dryness, easy to feed, easy to house. They are expensive but worth it. One of my favorite species of all time.

Radiata - Similar to Burmese stars, but a little larger and a little different personality. You can get them in TX. Need permits to sell them across state lines. Perfectly legal to own and to buy within your own state with no permits or paperwork. Also expensive, but this is probably THE most beautiful of ALL the tortoise species at every life stage from hatchling to adult. This one tops out at about 16" long.

I find that for most people, one of these will speak to you. You'll be repeatedly drawn back to one or another over and over. You'll find your self reading about one of these species and continually looking up YT videos and doing searches for info. You'll know when it happens.

In the meantime, be aware that most of the care info you find for most of these species is wrong. We are undergoing a bit of a revolution in tortoise care, and the "establishment" is resistant to change some times. You have found the best, most up-to-date care info right here on TFO.
Wow. Thank you SO MUCH! You’re very knowledgeable! I knew I’d find great advice here! I know that took a hot minute to type out, I’m so grateful! You’ve made my decision so much easier ❤️

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Right on! I’m not that far. About 15 min north of Seattle in Shoreline. Marysville is nice, though!
And when the sun is shining, Seattle is the prettiest city there is. I'm in Corvallis, maybe we will have to get together and show off our chelonia. Oh I forgot, there's 5 TFO keepers that comment a lot around Oregon. Oh my lord, I can see it happening now a PNW barbecue ...yes!!! What fun...I'll bring Knobby...

Brent L206

Washington
And when the sun is shining, Seattle is the prettiest city there is. I'm in Corvallis, maybe we will have to get together and show off our chelonia. Oh I forgot, there's 5 TFO keepers that comment a lot around Oregon. Oh my lord, I can see it happening now a PNW barbecue ...yes!!! What fun...I'll bring Knobby...
Sounds fun!

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I love my Burmese Star Tortoise. They have a bold personality and get to know their keepers. My male Burmese Star, now 2yrs old, has got to know me pretty well. He will eat out of my hand and loves the top of his head scratched. He was shy the first year or so, but getting more outgoing all the time. As Tom mentioned in an earlier reply, they will get 8-11 inches in length.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
My redfoot is way more outgoing and personable than my SA Leopard. She will come out of her hide and up to me if I open her setup to say hi. She also lets me rub her head and her little feetsies lol
20200624_174956.jpg
This is her after I called her name lol

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Radiatbeautiful, hardy .
I keep mine outside whenever possible as long as the temperatures are between 60F to 90F .
Can handle some fruits or meat occasionally .
No need to worry about bladder stone .
C39A0B4D-EAAA-46B4-BE83-4E8C81032240.jpeg