Pet listings

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Man the pic on right, poor thing. Looks to have over grown beak, and MBD
I do believe they are hermanns. I'm not good IDing the Mediterranean species except the Russians.
I will link the caresheet.
That one was definitely one on the ones I saw in the poorest body condition, it’s sad to look at😞
Thank you!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thread 'The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/
Brilliant thank you, think I’ll add this link to each of the messages too?

I do worry about how many of the owners will actually care to read them all, I fully believe going over those is the bare minimum of research to be done when taking them on, but I don’t doubt many aren’t willing to even do that😞I wish I was experienced enough to give the quick basic answers for a variety of species like the best substrates, the exact temps and humidity and best UV, I’m only up on red foot care mainly when it comes to the specifics, it’s frustrating😕

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Brilliant thank you, think I’ll add this link to each of the messages too?

I do worry about how many of the owners will actually care to read them all, I fully believe going over those is the bare minimum of research to be done when taking them on, but I don’t doubt many aren’t willing to even do that😞I wish I was experienced enough to give the quick basic answers for a variety of species like the best substrates, the exact temps and humidity and best UV, I’m only up on red foot care mainly when it comes to the specifics, it’s frustrating😕
I do keep reading as many threads as I can on the new posts when I have time, to familiarise myself with the basics of information experienced members give to new members on a bunch of different species, it’s definitely helping me when learning

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The way to raise hatchlings is basically all the same. Closed chamber, 80% humidity, basking 95-100 all over temp 80 and night temps 80 except for the Mediterranean species, they can do into the 60's, but I would say 70-75 to play it safe.
And don't include the RF with the above.
As for the adults of most species, the temps are the same as hatching above but humidity doesn't need to be so high.
This also does not include Box turtles.
Some rarer species may be different but you're likely not going to find any on CL or any other sites that are not tortoise dedicated.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
The way to raise hatchlings is basically all the same. Closed chamber, 80% humidity, basking 95-100 all over temp 80 and night temps 80 except for the Mediterranean species, they can do into the 60's, but I would say 70-75 to play it safe.
And don't include the RF with the above.
As for the adults of most species, the temps are the same as hatching above but humidity doesn't need to be so high.
Yeah I’ll link a different care sheet for the red foots, there’s so many adult ones being rehomed as pairs in 5-6ft vivs😣I’m so much more familiar with their care though so I feel more confident if those owners have questions
With red foots I’m used to the fact they thrive in the 80s 24/7, but I’m right in saying the adult dessert species etc need a night drop?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah I’ll link a different care sheet for the red foots, there’s so many adult ones being rehomed as pairs in 5-6ft vivs😣I’m so much more familiar with their care though so I feel more confident if those owners have questions
With red foots I’m used to the fact they thrive in the 80s 24/7, but I’m right in saying the adult dessert species etc need a night drop?
Honestly getting them to sign up to the forum themselves to post their own threads for people to answer, would be *chefs kiss*👌🏻
Even if I just get one person to do better I’ll be chuffed🥹

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends on what you think the desert species are. The sulcata and the leopards should never go below 80.
The Native to USA tortoises I really don't know. I believe the CDT can drop cuz they brumate when too cold. The FL Gopher tortoise probably not but not sure.
@Yvonne G or @Tom or @ZEROPILOT may know about them.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Depends on what you think the desert species are. The sulcata and the leopards should never go below 80.
The Native to USA tortoises I really don't know. I believe the CDT can drop cuz they brumate when too cold. The FL Gopher tortoise probably not but not sure.
Yeah this where I’d be curious what multiple members think, I think I might create a new thread altogether with the details of this project I have in mind, hopefully I can create a hive mind on their with listing pictures, bringing in lots of different suggestions from as many members possible, I’ll start with a couple so it’s not too overwhelming and let people feel free to add some

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Its rare. But it DOES occasionally reach freezing temperatures here in south Florida. Upper 40s are more common as an absolute low temp. Gopher tortoises live through that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
... but am I right in saying the adult dessert species etc need a night drop?
Depends on which desert. There are deserts in the tropics and there are deserts in temperate regions.

Tropical species don't need a night drop, like RFs or sulcatas. Temperate species like Russians or California desert tortoises, do need a night temp drop.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Depends on which desert. There are deserts in the tropics and there are deserts in temperate regions.

Tropical species don't need a night drop, like RFs or sulcatas. Temperate species like Russians or California desert tortoises, do need a night temp drop.
Thanks Tom, these are the specifics when it comes to the actual wording of advice I need help on lol.
I’d appreciate your opinion on my latest thread😊

COmtnLady

Colorado
There are some Rescues around that are good to notify if anyone sees something like a CL ad that seems desperate. BUT - you have to check and make sure the Rescue is up to snuff... don't want to tell a bad one to intervene. And the good ones are frequently over-loaded because there are so many sad situations.

There are enough TF members located everywhere, though, that your idea of posting it here sounds better.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
There are some Rescues around that are good to notify if anyone sees something like a CL ad that seems desperate. BUT - you have to check and make sure the Rescue is up to snuff... don't want to tell a bad one to intervene. And the good ones are frequently over-loaded because there are so many sad situations.

There are enough TF members located everywhere, though, that your idea of posting it here sounds better.
Yes definitely a good thing to bare in mind for people, unfortunately where I’m from, good reputable rescues for these guys can be few and far between😣but I’ll definitely be on the look out for some good ones
I’d love your input on my latest thread, I’ve wrote the details of the project in mind and using it as a space for people to add their own/give opinions on it😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Adding the link to that thread here so it’s hopefully a bit easier for some of you to find😊

Sorry it’s a bit long, wanted to make sure I was as detailed as possible for new members but feel free to give it a skim

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Just had a lovely conversation with a breeder who owns their own reptile store who hated me telling them to separate a male and female Russian pair he’s selling together, kept in the same small viv.. guess what species they breed @SinLA .. you guessed it, sulcatas!🙃
Told me there’s nothing in it for him to join the forum as he knows everything he needs to know apparently and it won’t line his pockets(his actual words😐) honestly these situations are such a bummer! Idk if I have the physiological will power to do these messages lol

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just had a lovely conversation with a breeder who owns their own reptile store who hated me telling them to separate a male and female Russian pair he’s selling together, kept in the same small viv.. guess what species they breed @SinLA .. you guessed it, sulcatas!🙃
Told me there’s nothing in it for him to join the forum as he knows everything he needs to know apparently and it won’t line his pockets(his actual words😐) honestly these situations are such a bummer! Idk if I have the physiological will power to do these messages lol

yeah its heartbreaking

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I don’t even know how to respond to people like that, I tried continuing to be kind but they just kept getting ruder and ruder, it’s so frustrating🫤
This could be very exhausting... Unless you develop some "thick skin" to let such situations go. On the bright side, if you've helped even 1 tortoise out of 10 - it's a win. And it should keep you motivated. Some people won't tell you that you were right but still will make some improvements silently. Maybe even that pet store owner will put these tortoises aside.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This could be very exhausting... Unless you develop some "thick skin" to let such situations go. On the bright side, if you've helped even 1 tortoise out of 10 - it's a win. And it should keep you motivated. Some people won't tell you that you were right but still will make some improvements silently. Maybe even that pet store owner will put these tortoises aside.
Yeah I definitely need to just toughen up and realise not everyone wants the advice🫤but the ones who were grateful and the few that said they’ll sign up to the forum felt motivating for sure, like you say even if it’s just one I’m happy😁it’s nice to think they maybe will be encouraged to go and do their own research behind the scenes, you never know, best we can hope for😊