pet proofing suggestions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kberr

5 Year Member
I have dogs and cats and will be building a tort table soon. Any good suggestions on keeping it "pet proof"? Also,I want to suspend my lights from a light stand, but all I can find are the table top kind. Can anyone recommend a floor lamp stand?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Some possibilities-

Pet-proofing...
- positioning, like a slightly higher table, or being in a room with a door
- a pet barrier- you can go to a lot of sign shops and get a corrugated plastic they make signs from cheaply in custom sizes. It is light, easy to clean, and often available in colors. You could easily make a wall sturdy enough to keep a cat from jumping up, but so light you can remove it easily.
- A tent or similar covering, which will also let you control temps and humidity better. My plans for a new Red-foot habitat includes a 3' high 'tent'.

Lighting...
- Build a simple 'bridge' from 1x2's or similar, two uprights and a cross bar to hold lighting, cables, heating, etc. It can also help support any other walls, etc. like above.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's my experience with my cats and numerous habitats here in the house that cats don't want to mess with chelonia. Once they see that a live animal is in there they mostly stay away. My Lil Roxie is kinda the exception to that...she likes to sleep under the basking lights. But as soon as a tort starts to move around she leaves. Also cats are smart once you tell them "no" several times they get the picture...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
While my cat likes the light AND the giant warm toilet area.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Madkins007 said:
Some possibilities-

Pet-proofing...
- a pet barrier- you can go to a lot of sign shops and get a corrugated plastic they make signs from cheaply in custom sizes. It is light, easy to clean, and often available in colors. You could easily make a wall sturdy enough to keep a cat from jumping up, but so light you can remove it easily.
- A tent or similar covering, which will also let you control temps and humidity better. My plans for a new Red-foot habitat includes a 3' high 'tent'.

Lighting...
- Build a simple 'bridge' from 1x2's or similar, two uprights and a cross bar to hold lighting, cables, heating, etc. It can also help support any other walls, etc. like above.

I'd like to see what you mean by tent. I'm having a hard time visualizing it in my head. How is it different from an jumbo-sized humid hide?

ekm5015

5 Year Member
If you want to keep it simple, You could just add a lid to your tort table with a screen. With a screen you do not need to worry about a light stand either. Just set the light on top of the screen. Take a look at my enclosure to see if you like the idea. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-16397.html

I used 1/2'' wire mesh which lets plenty of light in and keeps the cat out. The two doors are on hinges so they open and close easily.

PeanutbuttER said:
Madkins007 said:
Some possibilities-

Pet-proofing...

Lighting...

I'd like to see what you mean by tent. I'm having a hard time visualizing it in my head. How is it different from an jumbo-sized humid hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.