Pet store, a nice twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
I went to a local Pet Store today, as I was in the store next to it, and although I have stayed out of it for years, because of 'gee, can you guess why?" I Had to.
Boy was I in for a shocker! All the nasty aquariums were replaced with very clean larger, new filter,ones. Not a floater in sight. The small critters, like lizards etc, were all moved into a much nicer,more accessible area. They had a young RF in a super deep bedding, looked positively inviting, a hide, (Which they had normally refrained from, customers cannot buy what they don't see.) A ramp type bowl deep, clean full of water, food that looked like maybe mazuri with some greens.(199.00) I was pleasantly in shock.Baby Uro Mastics, never saw them before, (189.00) Pac man frogs (39.00) The frogs were all in a planted, moist vivariums.Large tree frog, I thought it was such a beautiful happy looking creature, I almost,,,, (24.99)Snakes had hides and water. They had a pond with RES and painted turtles, with a filter, plenty of basking areas. It just was nice. So after all I rant about Pet stores, I thought I would throw out a positive note.If I had a phone that took pics I would have.
Hope all fared OK after Sandy. Anyone hear from TerryO? She is the only one I know in NYC.
Nay

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is very nice to hear good pet store reports. Laurie I believe also lives in NY, and I know there's a few more. Hope all is well with everyone.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'm in NY! I'm fine, not sure about Terryo though on Staten Island. Likely that she has a flooded basement and no electricity.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I love hearing good things about animal care
Thanks for passing this on!:)

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
My local pet store changed locations and did kick things up a notch. Their fish aquariums are excellent.

But their reptiles still don't have hides and are kept in enclosures that are way too small. Some don't even have proper lighting.

I can understand why pet shop owners may not want hides. They're trying to sell the animals to make a buck, and they want them out in the open. Regardless of how the animal may react to such an environment.

Good to hear of a positive report though.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Thank you for sharing. Glad at least one pet shop has a conscience. My local pet smart has 3 Russians in a 5x5 enclosure. It makes me sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.