Stopped by the Pet Store and it broke my heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickie

5 Year Member
Ok, decided I had to run to town so couldn't help swing by the pet store. They had 2 tortoises in there.....looked to me from what I have seen and read one was male and one female. The area they were in was very small and the male was very scared. The female on the other hand was friendly but gosh the poor thing looked like it had lived a rough life. She looked to have scaring 2 spots on the bottom of her shell and the top shell in 3 different spots looked like it had been smash in then to top it all of she had a cut on both shoulder areas. Dumb question but what could have caused the cuts there? Looked as if they were healing and the lady rushed her back to their vet when I pointed out the issues but wow my heart broke. :( Say the least I walked out without one in hand. After seeing all of that I know for a fact I would be major worried about purchasing one from them......wonder where they get them from?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What species were they? If they were Russians, then they are most likely wild caught and the injuries could be from before the store got them. Could and most likely the injuries are from the two being together in a too small of an enclosure or in transport.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What species were they? If they were Russians, then they are most likely wild caught and the injuries could be from before the store got them. Could and most likely the injuries are from the two being together in a too small of an enclosure or in transport.

Ditto. What pet store was it? At least they were quick with taking it to the vet. Did you mention separating them? PetCo and PetSmart have all wild caught tortoises, and I have seen plenty come in with she'll scaring and damage.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Vickie

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
wellington said:

Ditto. What pet store was it? At least they were quick with taking it to the vet. Did you mention separating them? PetCo and PetSmart have all wild caught tortoises, and I have seen plenty come in with she'll scaring and damage.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
Well that explains that! It was PetSmart. As far as space I doubt honestly they would separate them. They had only 1 spot on their wall set up for them (with the others filled) and honestly the thing couldn't have been any larger then 10 gallons MAX. There just honestly wasn't any room at all in there. The female was under the one hide spot they had and the male was trying to sleep with his bum up in the air with his head between the food and water dish......at first with the way he was and lack of movement I was wondering if he was alive at first.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Vickie said:
theelectraco said:
wellington said:

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
Well that explains that! It was PetSmart. As far as space I doubt honestly they would separate them. They had only 1 spot on their wall set up for them (with the others filled) and honestly the thing couldn't have been any larger then 10 gallons MAX. There just honestly wasn't any room at all in there. The female was under the one hide spot they had and the male was trying to sleep with his bum up in the air with his head between the food and water dish......at first with the way he was and lack of movement I was wondering if he was alive at first.

It's 15 gallons, if they are separated they are moved to the back. My work keeps the tortoises on the bottom tank that's much roomier, since we don't keep aquatic turtles in stock...thank god.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
The petsmart by my house had 2 greeks in the big bottom tank for a few weeks, recently they were both moved into the same 15 gallon tank and the bottom filled with water.... I assume they will be getting some water turtles this week.

Vickie

5 Year Member
jjsull33 said:
The petsmart by my house had 2 greeks in the big bottom tank for a few weeks, recently they were both moved into the same 15 gallon tank and the bottom filled with water.... I assume they will be getting some water turtles this week.

Yep that was the same thing with in this case. The bottom had water in it and food already out. (wasn't sure why when nothing had arrived yet) However, she stated they were waiting on Painted turtles. Which leads me to another question. Aren't painted turtles like a lot of other water turtles to were they need to eat in water? Just sort of surprised about the turtle pellets in a dish.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I am fairly certain water turtles do need water to eat, so I am not sure how pellets in a dish will help.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
-_____- just found out today that turtles are back in stock and they are sending all the stores a ton of turtles. Turtles have been out of stock for prob 6 months now....it was nice while it lasted.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.