Pet store bought lamps any better?

Geng

5 Year Member
After the MVB broke again last week, I went to the hardware store to buy some 75W bulbs. Surprisingly these 75W bulbs produce more heat and light than the lamps from the pet store I've bought in the past. Also these are muuuch cheaper in price.

So my question: are pet store bought lamps any better than the normal lamps from the hardware store? I know the MVB is needed for the UVB, but I put my tortoise 1 or 2x a week in the garden to catch some naturel sun light. The weather will be nice this whole week, so he can spend more time outside.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The pet store "reptile" bulbs are the wrong type of bulb and very over priced.

MVBs aren't a great option in my opinion because they run very hot, they are fragile, they have a high rate of malfunction, the desiccate the carapace horribly, and at least some of them stop producing UVB within 3 months.

I think the best option is a flood bulb from the hardware store of whatever wattage is needed to get the correct temp under it, and a long florescent tube for UV. I use 65 watt floods for most applications.

If your tortoise is getting real sunshine a couple of days a week, then you don't need indoor UV.