Pet stores

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
The picture that shows the box turtle and the marginated? I can't I.D. that third animal, but I want to say it's a water turtle??????
To me it looked like a water turtle as well. They had the widows labeled. It read woodland turtle, black Greek tortoise, ornate box turtle, another species of box turtle that I can't remember, and of course a redfoot tortoise

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To me it looked like a water turtle as well. They had the widows labeled. It read woodland turtle, black Greek tortoise, ornate box turtle, another species of box turtle that I can't remember, and of course a redfoot tortoise

That is horrible.

You ought to post the name and number of the store and we can all call and complain about the horrid conditions.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That is horrible.

You ought to post the name and number of the store and we can all call and complain about the horrid conditions.

I second that, some of those may not even be legal for them to be selling.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
That is horrible.

I don't where they got the smaller tortoises, but from the looks of them they are few years old. I spoke to someone who works there briefly. The sulcata is 15-20 years old and that's what they feed him :( He's been there many years and as you can see where he is kept is very small and I didn't see any heat source for at night. Tom the store is called Pets Plus the number is (215) 943-5229

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
They had the nerve to ask $250 for that poor redfoot $199 for the other tortoises and $120-150 for the box turtles.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I have been there many of times my daughter loves to see the big guy. He is even the reason I bought my sulcata. I feel bad for him every time I go in there. After knowing the care it takes to raise a healthy sulcata I cringe when I see him. I would never even buy a fish from that place let alone a animal they r always busy and sell tons of animals the tanks r always full and empty. The are the typically pet store animal r just inventory to them. There r way over priced on eveything and most of the staff r rude and ignorant. The funny thing to me is they sell the zoo med grassland tortoise food and they don't even feed it to him ( guess it to expensive to waste on him) his bowl is always full of the the fruity pebbles stuff for the fruit eating tortoises. But hey the owner drives a Ferrari and has 3 or 4 stores so I guess the love of money out weight the love of animals.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Once you get everything set up correctly Russians are very easy to take care of. 55 gallon terrarium is not big enough. The recommendation is 4' x 8' indoors and outside as big as you can get it. If your tortoise is going to spend a majority of his time outside then you don't have to make such a big enclosure inside, if you're just using it for rainy days etc. but for those of us up north, I try to make that indoor enclosure as big as possible because my tortoise will spend about seven or eight months in it.

Tortoisefanatic88

5 Year Member
PA
I have been there many of times my daughter loves to see the big guy. He is even the reason I bought my sulcata. I feel bad for him every time I go in there. After knowing the care it takes to raise a healthy sulcata I cringe when I see him. I would never even buy a fish from that place let alone a animal they r always busy and sell tons of animals the tanks r always full and empty. The are the typically pet store animal r just inventory to them. There r way over priced on eveything and most of the staff r rude and ignorant. The funny thing to me is they sell the zoo med grassland tortoise food and they don't even feed it to him ( guess it to expensive to waste on him) his bowl is always full of the the fruity pebbles stuff for the fruit eating tortoises. But hey the owner drives a Ferrari and has 3 or 4 stores so I guess the love of money out weight the love of animals.

You pretty much hit the nail on head about that place from what I just saw.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
This is so sad. I've had good luck with the pet stores I've dealt with. It's been many years since I bought an animal. Being a pet lover, I checked out the pet stores in the area and had my favorites. I used to visit every weekend, even when I wasn't planning on buying anything. Back then, I don't think there were the big chains like Pet Smart. These were all small individual pet stores. I don't think the pet store employees knew a great deal about Charlie when I bought him but the breeder had provided them with a care sheet. I never noticed how long it took them to sell all the babies from his clutch. I bet he was only at the pet store for a few days before I brought him home.