Photo check

uscpsycho

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
After doing so much research (most of it here) I'm a little concerned about the incubation/husbandry of my baby star which I got at a reptile show a few weeks ago. I bought it direct from the guy who bred it. I don't remember everything he told me about caring for it but I know that some of it was incorrect which makes me worried. I've read so many times that improper care at this stage can result in latent problems that proper care won't reverse. I'm doing things as advised here and hopefully that will prevent any new issues.

Breeder told me it's a Sri Lankan star but from what I've gathered the difference between Sri Lankan and Indian is more of a technicality than anything else. He had two babies at the reptile show and one of them had a very weird looking shell, lots of black with a random non-star-like pattern. It was kind of blotchy. He didn't want to sell that one because he wants to see how it turns out, he thinks it will look cool. I don't think it will be an attractive star. But I wonder if the way that shell developed was due to poor husbandry.

Anyway, I wanted to post a photo of my tort and see if anything looks off to your guys. I'm a little concerned about how the lines don't connect and some lines seem kind of random, is that typical or is that abnormal? It was born 8/28/22 so he's five months old.

Attachments

• 20230131_102231.jpg
    20230131_102231.jpg
    768.7 KB · Views: 9

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@Tom should be able to help you. Pretty tortoise.

AmandaF

Congresbury
After doing so much research (most of it here) I'm a little concerned about the incubation/husbandry of my baby star which I got at a reptile show a few weeks ago. I bought it direct from the guy who bred it. I don't remember everything he told me about caring for it but I know that some of it was incorrect which makes me worried. I've read so many times that improper care at this stage can result in latent problems that proper care won't reverse. I'm doing things as advised here and hopefully that will prevent any new issues.

Breeder told me it's a Sri Lankan star but from what I've gathered the difference between Sri Lankan and Indian is more of a technicality than anything else. He had two babies at the reptile show and one of them had a very weird looking shell, lots of black with a random non-star-like pattern. It was kind of blotchy. He didn't want to sell that one because he wants to see how it turns out, he thinks it will look cool. I don't think it will be an attractive star. But I wonder if the way that shell developed was due to poor husbandry.

Anyway, I wanted to post a photo of my tort and see if anything looks off to your guys. I'm a little concerned about how the lines don't connect and some lines seem kind of random, is that typical or is that abnormal? It was born 8/28/22 so he's five months old.
He is gorgeous

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Looks normal to me. Have you seen these:

WillB

New York City

Welcome to the forum! I’ve a 4 month old Indian star and he/she also doesn’t have the lines connecting. However I’ve seen new growth and patterns emerge as time goes on so looks wise I don’t think it’s an issue as that’s a beautiful tort! First is how mine looks now vs when it was with the breeder

Attachments

• 551C3973-89AE-4427-8978-6B8F15EF53C4.jpeg
    551C3973-89AE-4427-8978-6B8F15EF53C4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 7401233D-28D5-4A9D-AD5D-B8F5CA11B21E.jpeg
    7401233D-28D5-4A9D-AD5D-B8F5CA11B21E.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 10