Picky baby?

Areno

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So, my little guy is around 8-9 weeks old (just found out his age) and I've had him for a few days, and I am just now starting to pick up on his behaviors. One of which is how picky he is! I've noticed he only likes his red lettuce in his spring mix he won't touch any of the greens! He also doesn't seem to like grass outside either. Another thing I noticed is he loves dried up food. He even tried to eat a dried leaf in the yard which didn't go so well as you can tell by the picture. My question is will this be something he grows out of, or is there something I should do to nip it in the bud? Also, would it be ok to dry up some of his spring mix to see if he will eat his greens then or do they need to be fresh? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 42

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Too cute of a pic. You will have to take the food, chop it up small and spritz it with water. This way he has too eat the stuff he really doesn't like much in order to get the red leaf. As he eats this, put less and less of the red leaf, so he has to eat more of the other stuff. When he gets used to this, then you can add the red leaf back in. In the beginning though, keep the red leaf in, just chop it up along with the rest. The water helps the food stick together so he can't pick and choose.

Areno

Texas
Thank you! I tried cutting it up and spritzing it with water so he can't pick out what he wants, and now he ignores his food all together! He will look at it to see what it is then walk away. Should I just leave it there, or should I give in and give him what he wants so he'll eat?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, don't give in. You might try adding a little more of what he wants, just enough to get him thinking there's a lot there, but don't five in completely. He will eat before he starves himself. Be strong, it's better for him.:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another trick is to squeeze a little of his favorite treat over it, like if you ever give any fruit, only sparingly though.

Areno

Texas
Thank you so much for the help! He is finally starting to eat his greens! He definitely doesn't eat them as fast as the red leaves, and I swear he glares at me, but I'm glad he's finally eating them. :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If he likes dried leaves, then how about drying some dandelions, chicory and plantain. After it dries, sprinkle that over his other food.
He sounds healthy enough. I would advise soaking a hatchling almost every day, as well.