Picky eater or something more serious?

lanie

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County
Geoffrey has been rejecting to eat the grass that he loved last week. I ran out of grass due to the fact that I am growing it myself indoors so in the meantime I gave him kale and collard greens. He loves the kale and nibbles on the collard greens. I gave him grass three days ago and he loved it, then I gave him an hibiscus flower as a treat the next day & now he refuses to eat his grass. He just scatters it around or walks on top of it. I do not want to starve him, the food is there but if he continues to reject his grass should I just give up? Or could it be a more serious reason behind it. He doesn't seem to have a loss in appetite, he immediately ran towards the bowl when i filled it. His digestion seems healthy too, I soak him every morning for about 20-30 mins while I change out his water bowl and fill up his food bowl. I'm just being a worried mother

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think they are just like kids, if you give them ice cream, they'll want it all the time and won't eat their vegetables. Often people get around this by chopping up everything together so he has to eat some of the healthy stuff to get to the tasty stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With small ones I do what Big Charlie said. I chop up the fresh grass super fine and mix it all up with the days greens. Don't worry if grass isn't his favorite thing yet. When he hits 10" he will eat every blade of grass in sight along with everything else he can reach.

He sounds like he is right on track from your description.

lanie

Orange County
I think they are just like kids, if you give them ice cream, they'll want it all the time and won't eat their vegetables. Often people get around this by chopping up everything together so he has to eat some of the healthy stuff to get to the tasty stuff.
Just an update it is day two and he still isn't eating, I put collard greens and he took a nibble but then left it uninterested. Activity levels are the same and he pooped during his soak this morning too. I'm going to buy some kale seeing that he loves it just to make sure he is ok. If he doesn't by tomorrow I will be taking him to the vet. Do you think it's necessary? Thank you!

lanie

Orange County
With small ones I do what Big Charlie said. I chop up the fresh grass super fine and mix it all up with the days greens. Don't worry if grass isn't his favorite thing yet. When he hits 10" he will eat every blade of grass in sight along with everything else he can reach.

He sounds like he is right on track from your description.
He was enjoying his grass he's just not wanted to eat anything after that hibiscus flower he's had. Today he's taking small bites from his collard greens. I'm worried but at the same time I suspect he's being a big brat. I'm going to be watching him and if I notice anything odd I'll be taking him to the vet

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
They can be picky , I wouldn't worry to much just yet . As long as he has food available he will eat when he is hungry !

lanie

Orange County
They can be picky , I wouldn't worry to much just yet . As long as he has food available he will eat when he is hungry !
You guys are all very right it seems Geoffrey was just being a big brat. He just caved in and began to eat his greens, I'm relieved. Thank you for your advice. I'm a first time owner so I over think things. I just want to make sure I'm giving him what he needs is all!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You guys are all very right it seems Geoffrey was just being a big brat. He just caved in and began to eat his greens, I'm relieved. Thank you for your advice. I'm a first time owner so I over think things. I just want to make sure I'm giving him what he needs is all!
Cautious is good , but you are not denying him food . He is choosing not to eat it ! Otherwise he will be well on his way to having you trained ! :D

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm glad he is eating. Be careful about taking him to a vet. It is hard to find a vet who is familiar with treating tortoises and they don't always do the right thing. Sometimes they can make things worse. Tortoises can go a very long time without eating.

AZSid

Pavona won't eat the grass in her dish... in fact, she rarely touches the food in her enclosure at all. But we are growing her own garden that she gets to roam in for a bit a few times a day. Now, she has multiple plots to allow a few to grow while she mows down another, but here's the interesting part. She won't eat grass more than a few days old. No joke. Won't touch the grass in her old plot, but is happy to eat the stuff that just sprouted, and it is all the same stuff. Then again, no matter whether it's grass or the testudo mix, she eats the ENTIRE plant and pulls up the roots to eat them too.