Help!! Baby Sulcata!!!

TinyTheTank

Location (City and/or State)
Denver, CO
My baby Sulcata does not eat no grass at all! He has grass that grows in his cage in one corner and he never even touched it. He only eats the leafy greens my wife gives him, I’ve tried tricking him and cutting the grass putting it in his food bowl… Didn’t work! (Is it because of how tall the grass is growing? Is he scared?)
Also his color has changed A LOT! He’s not as bright looking as he was when he was a fresh hatchling. I’ve attached pictures of him as a hatchling and now.

Attachments

• 3392B68B-441A-497C-BF26-909E7233D17B.jpeg
    3392B68B-441A-497C-BF26-909E7233D17B.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 3C4D16B6-A014-4ADD-8819-A49236583BCE.png
    3C4D16B6-A014-4ADD-8819-A49236583BCE.png
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sometimes they won't eat it when they are young unless the breeder starts them out on it.
Just keep offering it. Make sure it's not the really tall stuff. Sometimes as grass and weeds get to tall they seem to not like it as much, was told years ago by Yvonne that it gets bitter when to over grown.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. It takes some Sullys longer than others to learn that spiky green stuff aka grass is actually food. Just keep offering a wide variety of weeds & grasses & moistened Mazuri tortoise chow. Soon it will learn that grass is food. Cut some very fine grass & sprinkle it onto things it does eat.

What foods are you feeding & what is it eating?

Sullys often turn darker as they age & the more they are in contact with their moist substrates. Nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My baby Sulcata does not eat no grass at all! He has grass that grows in his cage in one corner and he never even touched it. He only eats the leafy greens my wife gives him, I’ve tried tricking him and cutting the grass putting it in his food bowl… Didn’t work! (Is it because of how tall the grass is growing? Is he scared?)
Also his color has changed A LOT! He’s not as bright looking as he was when he was a fresh hatchling. I’ve attached pictures of him as a hatchling and now.
Most breeders don't introduce them to grass, so it will take months of you being persistent to do it. For babies, the grass must be freshly sprouted, soft and tender. Regular old grass from your yard will not be eaten by babies in most cases.

They get a sun tan, and also stained by the dirt and substrate as they age. Its normal.

Your baby is pyramiding, and that is typically cause by dry housing and/or the wrong lighting and heating. Check this out for the current and correct care info: