Pictures from my zoo Internship

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
Hey everyone! Think I'll finally have time to participate in the forum again :D
I graduated with my Bio degree in May and my Student job at the university asked me to start full time as a temp for the next 6 months or so (so I am just volunteering at the zoo on weekends now) but I had an internship in the Bird Department of Riverbanks zoo (http://www.riverbanks.org/). In April I had knee surgery for an old injury to my meniscus (another reason I had to cut down on my zoo hours). But I finally feel like I'm getting things in order and I'm getting my resume together to start applying at other zoos for actual positions so I'm feeling pretty good. So here's some pictures :p

This is the sulcata exhibit...we have 3 I think? I only toured the Reptile department once behind the scenes. And I just realized that I don't have pictures of most of our torts. We have a really big group of Radiated and 5 or 6 Burmese mountains as well as a pretty impressive collection in the back. I'll have to remember to get more pics

baby Galops

This guy is in our local animals exibit

Adult galop, I got to hang out with them one day and they are truly amazing.

baby komodo, met them too (they like to lick :p)

This big guy always scares me when I'm looking for him...he's usually right in front of your face once you see him.

This little muddy always has his mouth open

This is where I was working. I was never really a bird person but these guys have converted me, every animal in the department was fascinating.

Here's me with one of our Spectacled owls I got to help out on weigh/inspection day.

And this is our female Eurasian Eagle owl

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a nice place to work. I love owls!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like you had some wonderful moments at the zoo. If you could land a job at ANY zoo and in any department, where and what would they be?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Yvonne G said:
What a nice place to work. I love owls!!

They are so great....I was also part of our daily bird show and did the part with our little screech owl. She was adorable....dont think I have any pictures of her on my glove though. I just realized in making this post how remiss I was in picture taking

Jacqui said:
Sounds like you had some wonderful moments at the zoo. If you could land a job at ANY zoo and in any department, where and what would they be?

Not really a zoo but Monterrey Bay would be the ultimate fantasy job, my minor is marine science and the science they put out is just sexy. Really any AZA zoo In Bird/Reptile/Aquarium would be amazing (really any department but non-mammal are where my personal interests lie) as well as anyplace that has a conservation focus (which all AZA establishments do but actual implementation varies from department to department).

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Nice to have you back! Great pics, would love to see more! I hope your meniscus is healing well, thats a tough recovery.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
kanalomele said:
Nice to have you back! Great pics, would love to see more! I hope your meniscus is healing well, thats a tough recovery.

yeah its been a couple months but Im still finding it hard to find the balance between recovery and doing the things I normally do. I hike a lot and I've had to cut down quite a bit. Even just everyday things. I'm kinda short and last night I climbed up on the kitchen counter to get a growler off the top of the cabinets for the first time since the surgery (something that used to be a regular occurrence) my knee still feels tweaked from it and it felt completely normal right before. The weirdest things set it off.

guille24 said:
Wooow that's amazing !!! And that Owl it's huge !!!!:O :D

Its in the top 3 biggest in the world and bigger than a Snowy

Laura said:
awesome owls!

:D they are pretty much the coolest thing ever

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So cool!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.