Pictures of baby with Pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
Haha ya I like his name too. . .
Thanks for the advice it seems like the only thing I'm not doing that has been suggested is soaking him more (when I soak him I put organic carrot baby food in the water)
I do always have water available and I do not have a humitifier water his substrate daily and the humidity doesn't drop below 80% now
I will feed him more mazuri but it seems to act like McDonalds but ill see if soaks right after eating help
Thank you all so much:p

lkwagner

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1366614533.168552.jpg

This is pyramiding on a little one, this is the night I got him home after I picked him up from a lady on Craigslist. Hot bulb, no where to go to get away from it cause the lamp was the size of the tank and reptile bark at the bottom.

Btw have you noticed any discharge from the nose or mouth or seen anything to suspect a uri? My other baby had a uri when I got him and he wouldn't grow for a couple months because of it.

Also stated earlier...is there a chance he does have parasites?? Maybe get a fecal done? My vet charges $15 definitely worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
How old is yours in that picture? Tortellini doesn't look like that it just looks like he's growing slow I haven't checked for parasites yet but will do that and I no he doesn't have a uri. . . I have had 2 babies die from uris (both born to the same clutch in winter :( and were sick when I bought them)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom said:
...but the solution will still be the same: Simulate the hot, humid, wet, African rainy season in a closed chamber.

The above is the best thing you can do for this guy. All the little tips and tricks will not do much. I would soak once a day. I would use plain water, with nothing added to it. I would only feed Mazuri once or twice a week mixed with some chopped greens. I would leave this guy in his warm, humid, stable environment as much as possible. He doesn't need hours of sun every day. He needs stability. An hour of sun two or three times a week will more than meet his UV needs. Your temps and parameters sound fine. You can't "force" him to get better, and too much fussing will do more harm than good. Set him up right (which it sounds like you already have) and leave him be. Hope for the best.

You know what this looks like to me? I've seen it a number of times now. This looks like a hatchling that spent hours a day outside in a hot dry climate. I'm just guessing, but that's what it looks like to me. Who is Drew and where is he? Was he the breeder or an intermediate owner? Can you ask him about this tortoise's history and get back to us? We could all learn from it.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
his forum name is drewslife727 and he was not the breeder. I believe the breeder was a friend of his and I will talk to him and see what he says. I'm sure he will start growing sooner or later I know I'm doing the right stuff (and the carrot water is only because I had Munchy die from a vitamin A issue when I got him so I'm alittle paranoid , he does get regular soaks as well)
It makes me feel a lot better to hear people say I'm doing the right things and that its not my falt, I will continue to monitor him and update you all on his progress

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Maybe I'm the only one who sees this, but in the first couple pics of this thread it looks like the beginning of pyramiding. I'm seeing valleys in between the scutes. Unless sullys are born that way.

But at this stage it's definitely nothing major IMO.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
The really confusion for me is that that's how I got him . . . He has not grown so even if he had some pyramiding he's not getting anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.