Pineapple Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven

5 Year Member
I was wondering if a Sulcata can eat pineapple leaves? Just curious before I throw it out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They're not toxic, but they are pretty sharp/thorny.

steven

5 Year Member
as long as I clip the tips so they aren't sharp I should be good then. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Not toxic, but they don't look very appetizing, let us know how they are received.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
forgot this part....jeeeeeezzzz

Toxicity

When unripe, the pineapple is not only inedible but poisonous, irritating the throat and acting as a drastic purgative.

Excessive consumption of pineapple cores has caused the formation of fiber balls (bezoars) in the digestive tract.

Folk Medicine: Pineapple juice is taken as a diuretic and to expedite labor, also as a gargle in cases of sore throat and as an antidote for seasickness. The flesh of very young (toxic) fruits is deliberately ingested to achieve abortion (a little with honey on 3 successive mornings); also to expel intestinal worms; and as a drastic treatment for venereal diseases. In Africa the dried, powdered root is a remedy for edema. The crushed rind is applied on fractures and the rind decoction with rosemary is applied on hemorrhoids. Indians in Panama use the leaf juice as a purgative, emmenagogue and vermifuge.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Yes but would that apply to the leaves, or only the fruit?

steven

5 Year Member
The leaves were very difficult for the little one (5months). It was fibrious and hard to rip.off a piece it seemed. Just decided to toss it. Maybe larger sulcatas could do.better

Status
Not open for further replies.