Pink colour!

philipgreece

Location (City and/or State)
Kefalonia
I check my Wilma 3 days now and i see in 2 armpits and in one leg a pink colour! Like irritatation?I don't see something in plastron or in shell! The previous week she had in her neck too in both sides but its gone now! Could anyone know what could be? I couldn't take more clearly photos because i gave her stress today and she wanted to hide! I damp the substrate everyday since it's too hot all days! Could it be from damp substrate?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_569860703625546239.jpg
    FB_IMG_569860703625546239.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1609160118608192756.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609160118608192756.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_4241185730525534177.jpg
    FB_IMG_4241185730525534177.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say what could be causing it. It could be wet substrate sticking there as he walks it rubs. Dampen the bottom of the substrate not the top, leaving top dry. Pour warm water into the corners, mix it up some and see if it continues to happen.

philipgreece

Kefalonia
It's hard to say what could be causing it. It could be wet substrate sticking there as he walks it rubs. Dampen the bottom of the substrate not the top, leaving top dry. Pour warm water into the corners, mix it up some and see if it continues to happen.
Thank you!!from the photos its light pink! Its pink and i see it from close! I hope not for infection! I don't know if its ftom.stress because i handle her during the day! I don't see any wound and she its normally!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have just one or more than one?
I'm sure it's not from stress by you handling him. It's just a minor irritation. If it will make you feel better, put some antibiotic cream on the spots. Otherwise do as I suggested in my first post.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Coco coir! I have it clean! The always poop and pee outside when i have them for exercise out in nature or when i soak them!
Coir is a fine choice🙂but if do you think it’s possibly causing issues for you personally, maybe give orchid bark or forest floor a go and see if it improves? If it doesn’t we’ll have another brainstorm

I did have someone tell me once they’d found coir to be irritating their tortoises skin fold areas like their armpits, it doesn’t seem a widespread problem but perhaps some are more sensitive than others and it’s worth giving the bark a go😊

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Do you have just one or more than one?
I'm sure it's not from stress by you handling him. It's just a minor irritation. If it will make you feel better, put some antibiotic cream on the spots. Otherwise do as I suggested in my first post.
Thank you! Yes i have it separate it! I have 2 but saperated!

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Coir is a fine choice🙂but if do you think it’s possibly causing issues for you personally, maybe give orchid bark or forest floor a go and see if it improves? If it doesn’t we’ll have another brainstorm

I did have someone tell me once they’d found coir to be irritating their tortoises skin fold areas like their armpits, it doesn’t seem a widespread problem but perhaps some are more sensitive than others and it’s worth giving the bark a go😊
Thank you so much! I had bark but they pushed it to their food and i was afraid if they it!! I use Coco coir 2 years and i never had problems

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much! I had bark but they pushed it to their food and i was afraid if they it!! I use Coco coir 2 years and i never had problems
Thats fair enough, for what it’s worth, usually if its a piece small enough to swallow, it’ll come out the other end lol, ours eats the odd piece sometimes but she always passes them🙂

Perhaps give wellingtons suggestions a go first, if you feel it’s not done the trick give the bark a go for a bit and see how you get on😊

philipgreece

Kefalonia
Thats fair enough, for what it’s worth, usually if its a piece small enough to swallow, it’ll come out the other end lol, ours eats the odd piece sometimes but she always passes them🙂

Perhaps give wellingtons suggestions a go first, if you feel it’s not done the trick give the bark a go for a bit and see how you get on😊
Thank you so much! I will try again reptibark! Should i mix it with coco coir or only reptibark? And when i receive reptibark should i damp or to put it in enclosure like this?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much! I will try again reptibark! Should i mix it with coco coir or only reptibark? And when i receive reptibark should i damp or to put it in enclosure like this?
No problem! I’d personally use just the reptibark to see if it was truly the coir irritating them, if the problem persists we’ll know it’s not the substrate.

Usually a new bag comes pretty damp so it should be fine left for a bit, once it starts drying, do some pours with lukewarm water(not loads, but enough to dampen the bottom layer) and you can mix it now n then to stop the top getting dusty🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No problem! I’d personally use just the reptibark to see if it was truly the coir irritating them, if the problem persists we’ll know it’s not the substrate.

Usually a new bag comes pretty damp so it should be fine left for a bit, once it starts drying, do some pours with lukewarm water(not loads, but enough to dampen the bottom layer) and you can mix it now n then to stop the top getting dusty🙂
I personally would not use it if you know your tort eats it. It may come out but the pointy and sharpness of it could also do damage.

philipgreece

Kefalonia

Usually a new bag comes pretty damp so it should be fine left for a bit, once it starts drying, do some pours with lukewarm water(not loads, but enough to dampen the bottom layer) and you can mix it now n then to stop the top getting dus

Thank you!! So if this stays the same pin colour what else do you think is it? Im in panic because i haven't seen this before!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I personally would not use it if you know your tort eats it. It may come out but the pointy and sharpness of it could also do damage.
She’s only ever done it about 3 or 4 times in over ten years, the pieces have never been anything sharp, just small smooth bits🙂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stuck with the coir at least for now, do as I suggested and see if it goes away. If you never had a problem before, I would try to figure out if it's the coir or dampness before just switching. I also would not let them eat the bark as it may come out but could do damage inside before it does. But if you want to use it, you can just put it over the coir. Then keep the coir damp and keep food on the plate or whatever you feed them on.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you!! So if this stays the same pin colour what else do you think is it? Im in panic because i haven't seen this before!
No need to panic, it's not that big of a deal. Follow suggestions and give it a couple days to a week and see how it comes along.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
She’s only ever done it about 3 or 4 times in over ten years, the pieces have never been anything sharp, just small smooth bits🙂
I did debate getting coir for her to eliminate the risk all together tbh, because it’s has worried me when I’ve spotted it, just because I’ve noticed those few times, I worry there’s others I’ve missed as I don’t live with her, but her owner really hates the mess of the coir😣

She’s been on bark nearly 15 years though with no apparent problems