Planning a sulcata enclosure

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
That's so amazing!! Your tortoise is going to be so buff! I love the box that holds all the electronics, and the sliding door is such a good idea! Are you going to put bedding down or just leave it with the rubber?

Reactions: jrh

Jay Bagley

Michigan
It's looking great, I think it's wonderful how much space you are dedicating to to the well-being of your tortoise.

jrh

St Louis Metro
That's so amazing!! Your tortoise is going to be so buff! I love the box that holds all the electronics, and the sliding door is such a good idea! Are you going to put bedding down or just leave it with the rubber?
Well I wasn't planning on it, i'm going to be getting an adult male so I don't know if they need bedding for sure... with the Kane mat in the nightbox I didn't want any chance of fire with straw or hay... I'm open to opinions though... :)

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Wow, I forgot you didn't even have the tortoise yet!

Do you have one lined up for adoption already?

jrh

St Louis Metro
Wow, I forgot you didn't even have the tortoise yet!

Do you have one lined up for adoption already?

Not going the adoption route, I called a few breeders/dealers and it's relatively easy to find big males... actually the stars lined up and I got a large ivory male, hope to have him shipped next week...

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well I wasn't planning on it, i'm going to be getting an adult male so I don't know if they need bedding for sure... with the Kane mat in the nightbox I didn't want any chance of fire with straw or hay... I'm open to opinions though... :)
I think it depends on what temps and humidity your holding during the year. Not in the night box persay, but in the larger open area. Fine grade orchid bark. Then you could mulch your plants with the used stuff. Ive just noticed when i use bedding in my box the humidity stays around 60 or so. Without it 0-10. I'm also in the desert and we don't see much humidity during the winter so it helps me out. I also don't have a heat mat but like I said I wouldn't put anything in your night box. A couple more weeks and Hugo will be using his summer burrow and I won't have to worry about his night box till the fall!

jrh

St Louis Metro
Well we got the entire fence in as well as painting the shed... Also put it some planter beds with perennial hibiscus on both sides of the stairs... Planted a weeping mulberry as well as seeded the area with horse pasture mix/fertilizer/lime... Also put in three pieces of cattle panel inside the enclosure for five grapes each... now we just need some moisture... Tort should be here later this week.... :D

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_161829948.jpg
    IMG_20180422_161829948.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

jrh

St Louis Metro
Hooray Hooray!!! :):<3::tort: He's here, no name as of yet but picked him up from the airport today... it went really well, he walked around a little then headed into the shed to warm up in the nightbox... he must have had a shed at the breeders he came from, cause he knew just what to do... it was funny at the cargo hold, we opened the box to make sure of live arrival and all the staff came over and took pictures and thought he was going to the zoo... IMG_20180425_151732909.jpg IMG_20180425_155050419.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180425_141500210.jpg
    IMG_20180425_141500210.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Congrats, @jrh That is really a nice looking sulcata. Very little pyramiding. how big? Is it a "he" for sure? What does he weigh? Keep posting pictures!

jrh

St Louis Metro
Congrats, @jrh That is really a nice looking sulcata. Very little pyramiding. how big? Is it a "he" for sure? What does he weigh? Keep posting pictures!
He is 27" long and weighs around 120lbs... the shipping weight with the crate was 136lbs and the box is 36" long... He was used as a breeder at his other home, so i'm sure of male... Thanks the family is very excited...

jrh

St Louis Metro
Here's some pics I got from the breeder...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    731.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 43

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
Hello @jrh
Don’t take enclosure building advice from @Markw84 he doesn’t know the first thing about construction or landscaping. Have you seen his enclosure pics...just sad really! ;)